Gps recomendations

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Gps recomendations

Post by tree rattt »

I am looking for suggestions for an affordable gps unit for hiking and kayaking.I have no clue about them! !!!! This is something my dad wants to add to his equipment. I dont know where to begin and would hate to get something heavy and inadequate.
Cheap isnt the bottom line, doing the job is .

Thanks jason

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Gps recomendations

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I love my GPSmap60 from Garmin, with the topo map set... might not be the best anymore but it is very rugged waterproof and has served me well... the sensor is strong enough to pickup under dense cover. There are probably better and lighter versions, that is a 10+ year old model, but it is very reliable.
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by RockRiver »

I also use a Garmin, a GPSMAP 60CSx. I use it both for hiking and kayaking. Mine is very waterproof as it has been in Lake Superior many times for brief periods. I keep it on a lanyard clipped to a deck line, but it ends up in the drink about every other trip on the water. Older unit now, but still very reliable.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Ok this brings up another question.these have maps on them? When we get one do they have the maps we need or do we need to download maps for isle royal?
I really don't have a clue on these.

from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
RockRiver
NewbieCake

Post by RockRiver »

The GPSMAP 60CSx comes with a crappy stylized base map. The only thing that you can say for it is that is better than nothing. It is best to buy the add on topographic maps to load into the gps unit. The add on map is what makes this unit shine. Some people like the DeLorme units. Might pay to shop around. I buy most of my electronic stuff of this sort from a company in the Carolinas called the GPS Store. Very good prices. I just bought a marine vhf radio from them last month. Look at their web site and then call them with your questions. Good luck. You will enjoy having a good gps unit.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

agree the maps make the unit, for kayaking the garmen topo maps will work great i use mine for that too. If you wanted one for sailing you would need to get nautical charts for it also.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Love my Delorme PN series. (I have both a PN-20 and PN-40) Best I've used to date, and that includes Magellan, Garmin, and some other off brand I can't recall.
They put the buttons on the bottom (which will become clear once you use a gloved hand on a different GPS, and can't see the screen) and their maps, well, come from a dedicated map company. You use their Topo software which has great base maps. You can then connect to the cloud (annual subscription) to download USGS quads, NOAA charts, Sat imagery, etc, and load them onto the GPS. You then can pick what "layers" you want to see. I like it for off trail hikes, since I can see where trees and openings are.
The software also allows you to build your trails (it has the IR trails already there), and then 'hike the trail' vs waypoint-waypoint.
Redbad
Trailblazer

Post by Redbad »

I also have a Garmin (older etrex) and it has provided excellent service. No maps however.

Keep in mind that a GPS unit, especially one with maps, is NOT a substitute for a paper map and compass and the skills necessary to use a map and compass. GPS units are subject to Murphy's law and will tend to fail in situations where you need them most (batteries die -- battery life in units with lots of features is limited, expensive splashes or dunks can and will happen when on the water, etc.).
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Just for kicks.....has anyone ever tried using the gps system on droid x or something else similar? I have never activated mine. Do they need towers? Or do smart phones use satellite for gps? I have verizon and had no service out there. I took the droid for pictures only, after day 6 or 7 my phone went completely nuts! It never worked properly untill I got back to Superior. So on the murphey' s law statement.........BINGO! no pics, no tunes , and a piece of dead useless weight!

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

i agree with Redbad... they are no replacement for map and compass, but still a usefull tool.

on using a phone. your smart phone has a gps reciever. compaired to a dedicated gps it is a crappy reciever, but it is the same technology. when you turn your phone on it runs all kinds of other processes and i would be supprised if you could keep it alive long enough for a trip. at least with a gps you can carry replacement batteries.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I agree 100% on using a dedicated unit, the right tool for the right job! I was just curious.I have a compass brush up bushwack planned for when the snow goes away.it is an 8 to ten mile trip from home to a trail head on the ice age trail.lots of big hills ....double bonus.I need to knock the rust off after this winter!

Sure is a lot of info to sift through when one starts shopping for new eq.Hate to buy it twice, the DeLorme looks interesting though.

frdm02
NewbieCake

Post by frdm02 »

I have a garmin etrex 30. I love the unit but like all the other gamin reviews needs maps. Found very nice ones free online
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

How are these units to use?Are they pretty strait. forward? Or should the technology challenged expect to have problems? The cost is a horse a piece between De lorme and garmin. I guess I will have to hunt some down locally to check them out first hand ....sounds like a road trip to Gander mt.:shock:.ooooohhh the temptation!

frdm02
NewbieCake

Post by frdm02 »

I never had a GPS even on my car prior to the etrex30. After 4 months I am pretty comfortable with it and still am learning my way around some features as it was a brutal winter and I holed up a little more than I should have
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

tree rattt wrote:Just for kicks.....has anyone ever tried using the gps system on droid x or something else similar? I have never activated mine. Do they need towers? Or do smart phones use satellite for gps? I have verizon and had no service out there. I took the droid for pictures only, after day 6 or 7 my phone went completely nuts! It never worked properly untill I got back to Superior. So on the murphey' s law statement.........BINGO! no pics, no tunes , and a piece of dead useless weight!

gps or compass for that matter on a smart phone won't work without a cell signal to ping off of for location making them worthless in a wilderness situation.