Stick Stoves - still OK to use?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

unicornv
NewbieCake

Stick Stoves - still OK to use?

Post by unicornv »

Read the island rules - sounds like they are OK but just wanted to verify that with other people.

I've got a DIY kit that's pretty efficient (barely even leave ash) but I wanted to make sure its OK to bring as our backup kit (we use a Dragonfly normally but with 5+ days on the island, I like a backup way to have a fire that doesn't involve mechanical stuff working and the DIY kit weighs about 0.4 lbs). May even turn it into the primary cooking method if I can convince the wife of it...

Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Stick Stoves - still OK to use?

Post by Ingo »

They're OK.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

They are a stove like any other, just a lot more fuel.I love them personally .I LOVE to keep feeding sticks while I eat my meal and play in the fire ......it gives nice ambiance ;) . If you have heavy rain with 4 people , things may get a little tricky.If you carry a stick stove as a primary stove, I would carry an alcohol or Esbit back up.......If mumma stays happy.........well you prolly know the rest! ;) alcohol and esbit can easily be adapted to work with your stick stove.....for minimal weight cost.

Just another nickles worth! :)
unicornv
NewbieCake

Post by unicornv »

Thanks for the suggestion. Never played with the Esbit before but heard a lot of good things. The wifey loves to camp but is fairly new (and conservative) to backpacking. Her original pack list had a change of cloths for every day on the island. I think I've got that under control now but she really likes the Dragonfly we bought 15+ years ago. Its heavy and with that small pump, I'm concerned that if it fails, we out of luck - hence the stickstove.

Personally, my thought is the same about the ambiance of feeding it slowly over the night - and heck, you can roast marshmellows too. Somehow, that just doesn't seem right over a little gas burner.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I think a lot of people carry some sort of backup system.alcohol, esbit, or even some no cook meals with the isolation and ruggedness of IR it is good to have a fall back option.

One downside or IR is the lack of fire rings,I deffinately understand though.some sites have them ...most dont.I believe that there are community rings at a few spots....great places to meet and learn from folks!
McCargo cove has one. We had a fire ring at our tent site at chippewa .I thought I saw a grill at the shelter sites as I recall .When u check in and get your itinerary from the park service, they have a list of amenities at each site. Other folks could chime in and let u know where else has them. Just another backup system to consider.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

tree rattt wrote:When u check in and get your itinerary from the park service, they have a list of amenities at each site. Other folks could chime in and let u know where else has them. Just another backup system to consider.
The National Park Service has an annual Isle Royale newsletter called "The Greenstone" http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... reen-2.pdf

See page 6 for a complete list of campground amenities and regulations including fire, stoves, shelters, tent sites, docks and even boat generators.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

tree rattt wrote: One downside or IR is the lack of fire rings,I deffinately understand though.some sites have them ...most dont.I believe that there are community rings at a few spots....great places to meet and learn from folks!
OTOH, I believe that a fire ring is a huge negative at a campground.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Ok Don, I'll bite. You have my curiosity. Why a negative?
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

tree rattt wrote:Ok Don, I'll bite. You have my curiosity. Why a negative?
Impact on the land, lots of half burnt logs laying around, people try to burn trash in them....
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I wonder about a fire pan.They are self contained ...dont scortch the ground and can be set up with a little grill grate.I have seen some pretty cool lightweight set ups.Pretty useful for grilling a fish or something else.I don' t see where it would have any more impact then a stick stove. As far as fire safety is concerned it is common sense.

Has anybody ever seen a gas stove explode? We saw one explode that was set up by a "guide "in the Apostles.What a fire ball!!! Not sure what kind it was though.We weren't part of that group but it wasn't the only head shake /chuckle we had that night......what a winner! ;) We used a propane stove , untill the dicovery of a stick stove.Propane is still our choice for kayaking though.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

tree rattt wrote:Ok Don, I'll bite. You have my curiosity. Why a negative?
Folks sit around them all night long BSing & drinking. Completely destroys any sense of a wilderness experience. Can't even see the stars for all the light they put out. Some people want to sleep and night and hike when the sun's up. Huge unsightly messes. Can't think of a single good reason to allow them.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

tree rattt wrote:Has anybody ever seen a gas stove explode?
No but an acquaintance (brother's friend) was severely burned when his Svea 123 exploded. He had substituted a hardware store O-ring when he couldn't find the correct replacement for the fuel cap gasket.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Singing and making noise .....yup seen that, that is a pain. Especially for those of us that like to move early! Good reasons!
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Good enough my me too packmule :) HEE-HAW :lol: I'm an early bird for sure.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)