Isobutane propane fuel

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Isobutane propane fuel

Post by Donk_67 »

Alright! Floatplane tickets purchased for 16 August flight to RH. Does any recent visitor recall what size fuel cannisters the store in Rock Harbor sells?

I think one large cannister will carry two people for 9 days to essentially boil water for breakfasts and dinners plus coffee, hot cocca etc. Not sure if one small cannsiter will tho.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Isobutane propane fuel

Post by drobarge »

Normally they will have 3 sizes of Primus powergas 4oz,8 oz & a much larger size 24oz I think. The prices are pretty good too!

Be careful you don't grab the blue gaz canisters as they have a different valve.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I think you need to call or email the lodge to be sure http://www.isleroyaleresort.com/contactus/.

For 2 people, 7 days, we just used about 10 oz--one 8 oz (220 gm), plus started a 2nd. We did cook fish 2 nights and pancakes one morning, but otherwise just oatmeal, coffee, and freeze dried dinners. So one 8 oz could probably do it--about 6 mins/day for a typical stove--but don't think a small 4oz would. Personally I would bring one of each (if they have it), although I do always bring too much fuel :( --but I've never run out either :D . I also like to have 2 canisters with me in case one leaks, or the stove does when on it. Call me paranoid, but I have seen it happen (to others).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Could you just mail yourself a fuel canister in the sizes you need?
Donk_67
Trailblazer

Post by Donk_67 »

Thanks for the responses. I will verify with the store (a sensable suggestion :-)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

tree rattt wrote:Could you just mail yourself a fuel canister in the sizes you need?
I believe that they are hazardous and not legal to mail via USPS.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

[strikeout]I thought you could ship anything 4 oz or less as long as you had the ORM-D label applied. That has been some time ago and rules may have changed though. [/strikeout]

Looks like you can't ship it, since it's falsh point is <100F.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_020.htm#ep898896
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Now I reminded why I use sticks! :) ....so what your saying is that you can't get fuel on a drop from the v2 ?......if that is the case then there are probably a few people that could use that kinda info ;)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I bet you could still work out a fuel drop from the V2, you just cant mail it... heck they might even buy the fuel can for you, for a fee.