Trekking Poles

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

mcmaho37
NewbieCake

Trekking Poles

Post by mcmaho37 »

Hello All. My wife and I are going to IR for the first time during Labor day week in September. I have been on this site a ton and feel like we're as ready as can be! I'm so excited. My only question is about Trekking poles. I am 33 and in pretty good shape, as is my wife. I don't really know if that has anything to do with it. Any advice from people who know would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you do use them, what kind do you have.
frdm02
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Trekking Poles

Post by frdm02 »

I use Black Diamond Trail Shock poles, I like the poles as they help take a bit of the stress off my knees when climbing up and down slopes. They provide some extra stability on rough/ rocky terrain, but honestly on flat level ground I kinda prefer no poles and my thumbs tucked into the shoulder straps on my pack.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I used poles for the first time on my last visit in 2011. Could not have been happier with the outcome.
They prevented me from falling more times than I'd like to admit. They were more convenient to have than not.
I just brought along my LL Bean snowshoe poles. Nothing fancy. But, I won't do long hikes without them any more.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

See this post on Trekking Poles from a couple of years ago…. http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1855

I use a single Tracks Sherlock Staff with a rubber foot.
mcmaho37
NewbieCake

Post by mcmaho37 »

Thanks all! I will definitely get some poles. I love this forum. It is so helpful.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Tried to use 2 poles ......couldnt stand them! That being said I do find a nice walking stick to be very adequate.I found that I like to have one hand free ....and I also prefer to hold my left shoulder strap while walking. :) just another point of view.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I always thought trekking poles were for old people and a sign of weakness. Then a friend lent me his pair and I was hooked. I wish I started using them earlier. Probably would have saved a lot of wear and tear on my knees. They are especially helpful when you are going down hill and from rock to rock.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I'll throw in my two cents... Trekking poles help uphill and are a lifesaver down hill. I also find them very usefull when doing stream crossings, mud pits, ect. and you have something to poke at the mud to see how deep it is before you step into a knee deep mud hole. I also use them as tent poles which helps reduce weight with dual purpose gear. Mine are Black Daimond 2 section poles, nothing fancy but very strong. I've never had a tent that feels as stable as a trekking pole supported tent... they just dont make tent poles that sturdy!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

I always use at least one pole. Two if I expect rough or slippery ground.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

I always bring 2 poles. Many different uses if not for walking, we have used them to suport a tarp in shelters when storms blow up, have to use your imagination but it works! It is also nice to have them for walking where it is slippery or very muddy. I use simple walmart trekking poles from the camping section and have used same ones for YEARS.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

I use one, Mike doesn't use any, except when he sprained an ankle. They are handy to have when setting up a tarp in the middle of nowhere to get out of the rain. We always have ours and it has saved me a time or two or twelve.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
metalspinr
NewbieCake

Post by metalspinr »

i've never used poles until this year. my wife said i should use them because of my knee replacement. now that i've used them i will never go without them again.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

they saved me plenty of times this last trip with the wet rock conditions...ended up breaking one, but still worth the price. I did however find my pace was quicker without a trekking pole in hand when trail conditions didn't require them.
smokey brown
NewbieCake

Post by smokey brown »

During a wet Tuesday a couple of weeks ago on the island a pole kept me from a couple of face-plants. I have always used a single pole, just alternating between my two hands, and found my pace is faster with it (and better balance on the long plank walks). Never got use to having two but would not consider going without the one.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I switched from a walking stick to trekking poles about four years ago. I have a plate and 8 screws in my left ankle and I tend to trip with that foot, especially when I'm getting tired. On my last trip to IR at the end of July I was finding the Greenstone to be so overgrown at one point that the poles were snagging so I just decided to carry them. Within ten minutes I was pitching forward with a right shoulder roll into the shrubbery on the side of trail. (I'm so happy that Thimble Berries don't have thorns). My need for the trekking poles was re-confirmed and that was my only stumble that turned into a trip and fall on that visit.