Blades in the IR bush

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Blades in the IR bush

Post by tree rattt »

Hello all, a few thoughts on blades. Before my last trip I consulted the Park service about IR knife laws ,to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws .The Ranger I spoke to sent me an email with the Michigan knife laws, which is what I was told to go by.I love to carry a nice knife with me. It gives me a nice tool to use , and supplies me with a misplaced sense of security.Some of you may feel the same way? ??? So my question to all of you is what is your cutting tool of choice.

These are my favorite. The big one is a 75 cent garage sale find.For the money it cant be beat,great edge retention....very solid feeling..The little one is a folding Gerber utility knife.....I like this for quick blade change and razor edge.....for minor foot surgery and the like.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1421012855489.jpg
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Blades in the IR bush

Post by hooky »

I love knives. There, I said it.

I normally carry a little Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556 folder and a custom fixed blade to chop with as needed on longer trips.

It doesn't look brand new anymore.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Nice blade....looks good and tough.Since it doesn't look new anymore, I guess that means good times had in the bush!

Wow thought there would be more knife buffs ;) :( .

My wife just gave me a Moraknive companion carbon blade.Only four ounces and razor sharp! Seems kinda medium duty to me, anyone else use one of these? So far I like it ....durability will say for sure.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1422376981078.jpg
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I've never taken much of a knife to Isle Royale. Usually a pocket knife and a learherman make the trip. I just got the light my fire mora knife and as light as it is It'll likely replace the pocket knife for hiking.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I got a Light My Fire/Mora knife and took it last year. It was great. Never used matches. And good enough for fileting fish (although maybe not the prettiest filets).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I'll third the light my fire mora... got one 2 years ago it is now the only knife i carry and the only fire starter, other than the stove i guess ;)
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I love my Swiss Army Knife, had it for years. I probably use the scissors most, the tweezers second.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Wow, good marks for the Mora. Thanks for the input.Can't beat the weight savings. Problem is that is so sharp I hate to use it. When I dull it ,I don't think it will ever be that sharp again :( .

Swiss army, and leatherman ....lots of cool tools :)
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Never worry about a dull knife again.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77
slsail
NewbieCake

Post by slsail »

need to read the law very vague and designed for law enforcement to interpret how they wish.
there are a few parts to review, concealment, size and intent of use.
Any knife is illegal if you have malicious intent.
personally when backpacking I carry a 1.0 oz folding knife I bought at walmart
bear grylls blade about 2 inches long
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hooky, that is an interesting sharpener.I can sharpen a wood chisel or wood plane beautifully, but a knife edge kicks my donkey! Thay may be the help I need :).

If anyone is concerned with the laws, all one needs to do is speak with the friendly folks at the park service.Last year I spoke to Greg, I believe. He was extremely helpful.He emailed me a copy of the laws and we talked about the vague nature in which the laws are written. My big concern was the concealed carry. For example when carrying a belt knife, then it rains ....violla concealed weapon under a rain coat or pack cover.Imho a knife is too valuable of a safety/survival tool to go into the bush without. No knife is like no fire,water,or shelter for me. You never know what you will need, that a knife can provide.Good skill and a knife can provide food, fire ,shelter and piece of mind.I know my mentality in the bush, I love all of the different mindsets and interpretations that people on here provide :) what a great community of people. Truly a fabulous rescource!

Thanks to all :) !
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I struggled with sharpening my knives, really sharpening them. With that sharpmaker, it's easy to get any knife sharp enough to shave with. All it takes is some patience. i practiced on some kitchen knives first, just to be sure. It was money well spent.

And I agree with you on a knife being a valuable tool. I've carried a knife nearly every day of my life (unless I'm flying) since I was around 7.

Here's the first knife I ever got. My grandpa gave it to me when I was 7. Around 11, I lost it in the barn. When I was home from college one summer, I found it while helping clean out the barn. It 8 years or so of "barn stuff" caked on it. I cleaned it up as best I could and carry it with me everyday for sentimental reasons. I couldn't imagine using it in any way that might break it.

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Anymore, I carry a Leatherman Micra. Don't have much use for anything larger, unless I'm fishing.