Hambunking the Greenstone!?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

jlfiliaggi
NewbieCake

Hambunking the Greenstone!?

Post by jlfiliaggi »

We are heading to IR in late August and would love to ditch the tent. Haven't seen much in the way of hammocking the entire Ridge and we were wondering if there are any campsites to avoid in terms of sparse tree coverage? We usually "hambunk" one on top of the other like bunk beds, so just need two trees to make it work. Any thoughts from the veterans?
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Hambunking the Greenstone!?

Post by Tightlines01 »

I have a hammock but never taken it to the isle. I'd think most of the inland campsites on the greenstone would be good enough for it.

I've been to and think you'd be fine at these for sure.
Lane Cove
West Chickenbone
Hatchet Lake
Island Mine

South Desore may give you a bit of a challenge depending on the site.

Keep in mind some sites in each campground may be much better than others. I'd get an early start to get prime choice since you'll need good trees or you may have to use the hammock as a ground busy and tarp camp on the ground.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I agree most campgrounds should have at least one site that will work for you. Last year a buddy of mine brought his. We had not problem finding spots at island mine, siskiwit, feldtmann, or hugginin. Dont know about the rest, but it was fairly easy to find spots. Enjoy your trip!
jlfiliaggi
NewbieCake

Post by jlfiliaggi »

Thanks much! Only nervous for inclement weather and not having trees :-) Could get a bit wet, eh?
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

There are plenty of trees on Isle Royale.....the "ridge" is for hiking, the campsites are typically off the ridge and down a ways in the forest and next to a lake (Island Mine has a creek). Most of the campsites are nice big clearings with constructed tent pads. You might not have trees in the middle of your campsite, but you could occupy a campsite and then hang your hammocks at the edge of the clearing. East Chickenbone comes to mind as being in particularly open forest where trees are far apart and might be a problem. Then again, East Chickenbone is not all that aesthetic a campsite anyway so just plan to camp elsewhere.....
jlfiliaggi
NewbieCake

Post by jlfiliaggi »

Thanks all! We leave tomorrow morning and are ecstatic. Sounds like there is another couple coming in from RH doing a loop in hammocks, so maybe we will see them there! Sounds like an engagement is in the works!
gcloud
NewbieCake

Post by gcloud »

Hey jlfiliaggi, I'm wondering how the hammocking went on your trip. I'm probably going to bring my tent and a hammock for my trip. Sounds like overkill to some, but sometimes I like to get to camp and set up my tent in case it rains, then set up my hammock for comfortable sitting, napping, lounging, reading, etc. Then, if it's a really clear night I'll just sleep in the hammock with no tarp or protection or anything. If it rains I just get up, undo my hammock and bring everything to the ready tent. I also like looking at the stars in a hammock if I can find two trees with an open spot for viewing. Anyway, I'd like to get into hammock only camping to lighten my load, sleep better, and be closer to nature while sleeping, and I look forward to hearing about your experience on ISRO with hammocks.