Pepper Spray?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Spinnister
NewbieCake

Pepper Spray?

Post by Spinnister »

Anyone know if you can buy pepper spray at Rock Harbor? I'll be flying in when I go, and not sure yet if I can carry it on the float plane. So before I go and buy it, I thought I'd check here. I searched, but didn't come up with anything. Thanks!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Pepper Spray?

Post by Lucky Chicken »

pepper spray for??? I dont remember seeing it at the store.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I am curious about why you would need pepper spray on the island?
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

I'll be solo for over a week. Just a precaution - I don't expect to need it.

I also read some posts from within the last year about wolf encounters. So people and wolves (more about people than the 3 wolves ;) ). Once again, no expectation of needing it, but it can't hurt to carry it.
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

And by people, I just mean weirdos. If I happen to meet the one weirdo that has ever set foot on Isle Royale, I'd prefer to be prepared. Very unlikely, I realize, and I did not intend to offend anyone here.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

No need for pepper spray.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I don't believe you can buy it at store or bring on plane.

I will hold solo without it but honestly would take the boat so I could bring bear spray if taking my twin 8 year olds (which in not this year).

I think the chance for a wolf encounter is dwindling to a pretty small chance, but I'm also betting the few remaining are going to be getting more and more desperate for their own survival. Winter will be easier than summer for the remaining wolves due to the rate of decomposition during summer for moose that die of natural causes. Wolves will be able to linger at a death bed longer in winter as decomposition takes longer than summer.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I know that you can carry a handgun to IR on the float plane although you have to notify the pilot. I can't imagine they would allow pepper spray on the aircraft due to the close, enclosed environment. You should call and ask. I've seen a fair number of women hiking solo on IR and never heard or read about them having problems with two legged predators. (Although I did see several High School aged boy scouts once practically fall all over themselves inviting two college age girls to set up a tent in their group site. That was comical.) I think it's probably one of the safest National Parks just because the process of getting there is such a challenge and most visitors names are documented on a passenger ferry or aircraft manifest.
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

No boat for me!!! I still turn green just thinking about my last crossing, a few years ago :P. Four crossings, 2 perfect. The other 2 were, well, memorable - but not in a good way.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

The reports from the most recent Wolf/Moose study is that there are perhaps as few as 3 wolves left on ISRO. Someone check me here, but I don't think that there has been a recorded wolf attack on a human in the history of ISRO, nor has there been a recorded wolf attack on a human in the rest of Michigan. Moose might be a bigger concern as they will attack humans to defend their calves (don't wander around Washington Creek campground in the twilight...).

As for two legged yahoos, the cost of getting to ISRO tends to keep the kind of yahoos found in other National Parks away. Keep in mind that even in the "peak" season at ISRO, you could easily be in a place where you don't see another human being (or at least be able to count the number of humans encountered on one hand).

Keep in mind that the pepper spray that you might purchase to repel humans will be insufficient to repel a moose. If you feel the need to have pepper spray, get a can of bear spray.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I would like to think that IR is a "safe" place where I would be comfortable with my girlfriend backpacking solo if she chooses. I have never met anyone there who has made me think they were malicious. I have met plenty of people who were travelling solo including myself. As others mentioned, the difficuly in getting to IR and the easily tracked access to IR make it a poor place for someone who may have other intentions. If you are flying, you may be able to send yourself a package through the VII. I hope you have a safe trip and you feel comfortable on IR.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

johnhens wrote: ..As others mentioned, the difficuly in getting to IR and the easily tracked access to IR make it a poor place for someone who may have other intentions...
I agree. Since everyone coming to IR is registered and tracked and you can't get off the island without going through some approved route, only a stark raving loony would try anything serious. The chances of being reported, apprehended and prosecuted are close to 100%.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

DonNewcomb wrote:
johnhens wrote: ..As others mentioned, the difficuly in getting to IR and the easily tracked access to IR make it a poor place for someone who may have other intentions...
I agree. Since everyone coming to IR is registered and tracked and you can't get off the island without going through some approved route, only a stark raving loony would try anything serious. The chances of being reported, apprehended and prosecuted are close to 100%.
Um.... except criminals don't follow rules and likely wouldn't follow permit processes. And they very well could have a private boat....

Not saying it's going to happen, but I wouldn't be so certain it wouldn't.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

As a woman who has backpacked alone multiple times on Isle Royale, I can make a couple suggestions. If you need pepper spray to feel safe and secure, then it is a personal decision that I do not question. The challenge is in finding out how to transport it to the island. That being said, I have never met anyone creepy on the Island. Can you mail it to yourself and have it delivered by the Voyager II? Postal regulations apply. Another option might be get hornet spray, in one of those cans that promises to spray up to 25 feet - I once worked at a summer camp where counselors had hornet spray as defense against a pack of wild dogs that lived in the area.....and you could declare it as aerosol bug spray? You may have the same transportation issues.

Maybe another option is to find a hiking partner. Or, make friends with someone at each camping area - you will likely not be camping off far away from everyone unless you have an off-trail itinerary, since all the campsites are essentially campgrounds with multiple individual sites in a limited area. That way, you can trust your instincts with who you befriend, and have some back-up if you meet someone creepy. On the trail, keep a low profile and be prepared to move on quickly if someone gives you the creeps. I would do all this anyway whether or not I was carrying any defensive substances or devices.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

There are no wolf problems, have never been people problems, so I see no need for pepper spray.