Sleeping Bags and Coats

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

gcloud
NewbieCake

Sleeping Bags and Coats

Post by gcloud »

Hello there! I'm going to the island for the first time in late september and early october and I've got a 30-40 degree sleeping bag that won't cut it I'm assuming with the night temps. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for sleeping bags for the fall season here, what's worked, what hasn't, etc. I'm thinking of getting a used North Face Tundra -20F bag used for 120 bucks. I figure why not just get a fall/winter bag that will guarantee a warm night vs chancing it on a bag that's cheaper and not as warm. I'm also getting a thermarest prolite pad that offers some insulation.

Also, regarding coats/jackets. Right now I have a waterproof yet very thin jacket I planned on bringing, with insulating with maybe fleece sweatshirts underneath. Will this do? I hear of people bringing parkas and down coats and puffy coats, but don't like the idea of that taking up so much space in my pack. But I don't want to be cold. I'm wondering if a base layer plus two fleece sweatshirts plus rain jacket will do. Thanks for the help!
WindChill
NewbieCake

Re: Sleeping Bags and Coats

Post by WindChill »

I suppose part of it depends on what you're doing. Will you be backpacking or staying in one place (lodge/cabin/single campground)? If you're staying in one place then weight and bulk dont matter as much.

Either way, a -20F bag for $120 is going to be pretty bulky. Plus -20F will be way overkill. According to Mike's book, low temps in Oct are low 30s so I would go with a bag rated to +20F and add cloths as necessary. You should be able to find a +20F bag for the same money that is much lighter and more compressible.
gcloud
NewbieCake

Post by gcloud »

I will be backpacking. The Northface one I mentioned is only 4 lbs, but you're right in that it is probably a bit bulky. And the reviews I'm reading say that it is really more of a 0 degree bag and doesn't live up to -20. But I thought, why not get a fairly lightweight and cold-season bag so that I can choose between this bag and my other 30-40 degree bag depending on where I'm going and when I'm going there. So it's an investment for other trips in other places as well. And this would guarantee my warmth on ISRO, with the option to wear less clothes or leave it slightly open during sleep. I also sleep colder than others it seems. But I'm still researching my options. Thanks much!
WindChill
NewbieCake

Post by WindChill »

If you want a new bag and can justify it because you'll use it for other trips, that's cool. If you really dont want a new bag but are concerned about being cold then there ways to stay warm with what you have.

Personally, if I already had a 30 or 40 degree bag that I was familiar with (i.e. that I know what temps it is really good for) I would use it and supplement with cloths and a liner. A fleece sleeping bag or blanket will add 10ish degrees and is useful on the boat or sitting on the beach watching the sunset. Long johns or a fleece pullover will also get you 10ish degrees with the flexibility to wear them at other times. My 3 season system is a DIY quilt that gets me to the upper 40s with shorts/tshirt. Adding light long johns gets me to the low 40s; adding a light fleece and stocking cap gets me to the upper 30s.

The "add cloths" option is also attractive since the other part of your question was about jackets. If you are taking warm cloths for during the day, why not use them at night too?
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by RockRiver »

While I am not a backpacker and my kayak carries all my gear, I can offer a few ideas. I bought a -20 down sleeping bag in 1971 and have never regretted it. I use it to this day in cooler weather. IR is a place that it is better to have warm gear than not have it. Get the down bag and get a compression dry bag of the right size and it will pack down to a manageable size. I never wear any clothes in my sleeping bag that I wore during the day. Those clothes will have body moisture in them and you will get chilled from that on cold nights. I always bring a set of polypro long underwear and socks that I only wear to sleep in. You will also need a stocking cap to sleep with. I live in Michigan's UP and I am familiar with how the weather can go in this part of the country. In late September and early October there is a fair probability that you can run into weather that will range from very uncomfortable to dangerous. Especially if you get wet. Be sure that your sleeping bag and spare clothes are in dry bags.
julienoble
NewbieCake

Post by julienoble »

We were first timers this summer-august. Our only downfall was not a warm enough bag at night. We froze. I would go with a heavier bag for sure!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
gcloud
NewbieCake

Post by gcloud »

I think I'm going to go with a reasonably lightweight 0 or 5 degree bag, and maybe skip the down jacket and just take an extra layer. I know it's more weight, but the light and compressible-yet very warm jackets seem to be quite expensive. I'm thinking this for layers when it gets real cold (last week in sept thru oct): synthetic polyester long sleeve shirt (as a base layer basically), thin merino wool sweater, thin fleece pullover, then my thin rain jacket if its raining. Thin meaning not the super thick bulky fleece/wool sweater fabric. Then for bottoms I'll have synthetic long underwear, nylon hiking pants/shorts (convertible), and rain pants if it's raining. Does this sound like enough when it could get down to 20 degrees, windy, and raining in a tent or shelter? Thanks for your suggestions folks as I haven't camped in this cold of weather and it's too warm to take gear for a trial run.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

The one thing I'd say is have a clean dry set of base layer/clothes to change into when you settle in to camp or sleep. Dry clean clothes will keep you much warmer than even very nice (but sweaty) base layers. Let yourself fully cool down before changing into them.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Hello
I would suggest, per my own experience, a fleece sleeping bag liner, and good long underwear. I bring cotton socks to sleep in at night, and a good warm hat. as far as a puffy coat, I do bring a down vest, or a polartec fleece vest, and a puffy down winter coat that squishes down small. At night you will appreciate it. I have found that a simple frogg togg jacket fits nice over the puffy to keep it dry if it rains, but you stay warm. Also check into some light weight "ice fishing" gloves that have neoprene with a fleece liner. These things will help keep you warm, you cant put them on if you dont have them. I would recommend bringing a pocket size emergency blanket for that just in case night if it gets beyond cold, which it can. Best of luck and enjoy
gcloud
NewbieCake

Post by gcloud »

Thanks, I just found a puffy down vest while thrifting that squishes pretty small and is light. My rain jacket fits over it fine too. I'm mostly sold on the waterproof gloves and also some lightweight waterproof socks. I just got some running shoes and am thinking that with gaiters and waterproof socks, my feet will feel in the lightweight runners. But still might go with my usual hiking boots, we'll see. As far as sleeping bag, I'm gonna get a well reviewed 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag, the Teton Sports Leef 0F bag. Only 4 lbs and compresses pretty well I hear. Also, I do have one of those emergency blankets I plan on bringing. I think these things should keep me plenty warm and dry without breaking by back or my budget. Thanks again for the recommendations.