White Gas Availability before Memorial Day Windigo

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

White Gas Availability before Memorial Day Windigo

Post by Stephen »

Planning on flying in this year on May 24 by myself ( no one wanted to come along) and going from Windigo to Rock Harbor criss crossing the island over 9 nights and 10 days. This is my second trip to the Island, I went last year and puked all the way over from Copper Harbor on the boat. Due to restrictions I won't be taking my Jet Boil. I have searched the forum and read the standard information available about this topic and some places say the store is open and others it is not until Memorial Day. I guess I was looking for reliable information if I can buy white gas when I get there for a Optimus liquid fuel stove? My understanding is you get it from the ranger and not the store. Otherwise if the store is open you can purchase isobutene there if they have it. I really don't know for sure what the procedure is to buy it and if it is in fact available prior to Memorial day. I can always use a twig stove but that is plan B. Because of the amount of time I will be spending there I need a definite answer because eating cold food for a few days is kinda ok but for the entire trip would suck big time.
hooky
IR Expert

Re: White Gas Availability before Memorial Day Windigo

Post by hooky »

I'm not sure when the store opens. You could give them a call and find out. (906) 482-0984

http://www.nps.gov/isro/contacts.htm

9 nights solo at that time of year would be a great trip.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

In my (Limited) experience that early in the year, the Windigo store will not be open. I am jealous about your trip. The views are so different that time of year. Island Mine always gets a bum rap, but it was quite scenic before leaf out.
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

I think I have a itinerary figured out and I will be going past Island mine. I will post my plans soon.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

In 2015 the store opened on May 22nd. I believe this date is most likely set according to it's being the Friday before Memorial Day, which in 2015 was May 25th. If I had to guess I would estimate in 2016 the store will not open until at least May 27th as Memorial Day does not fall until May 30th this year. A call to verify is certainly suggested. The Winter headquarters phone number for the concessions is not in Houghton so their Winter telephone number is 866-644-2003. It's also possible that during the first few days of operations the store may not be as fully stocked as they would be normally. I never gave much credence to twig stoves but recently I bought one and I'm very impressed. The one I bought is a little heavy for backpacking as it has a battery assisted bellows but it sure creates a hot efficient cooking source. A kindling suggestion is to carry a good supply of clothes dryer lint, dribbled with candle wax, in a zip lock bag.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

If you were able to get fuel for your jetboil, could you carry the stove, minus the fuel, on the plane? If so, we could bring some over for you. We have a number of canisters left behind every year on the boats, I save them and use them for ice fishing and other jet boil uses. We would drop some off at the the Visitor Center at Windigo in your name and you could grab it when you arrive. Let me know.
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

Thank You Capt Don, I will keep in touch with you.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Stephen, get in touch with us in early May. Our office number is 218-475-0024 and we will be there full time beginning May 9th, we can work out the details then. Trying to remember this until late May would be more difficult than me swimming it out to Windigo for you.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Good on you Capt Don. Hoping to see you in May myself.
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

OK thanks I will give you guys a call. I appreciate it.
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

The rangers do have white gas available prior to Memorial day. I checked with them at Windigo.