Bag in August?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

mihiker
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Bag in August?

Post by mihiker »

We'll be on the Island August 9 - 16.
I'v been tinking about ditching my summer bag and taking my liner only.
I have an REI Nooksack, 31oz, stuffs to 7" x 15".
My liner is Cocoon cool-max, 9oz, 3.5" x 7".

Any comments regarding my odds of freezing at night in August?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Bag in August?

Post by johnhens »

I would stick with the summer bag, it can get cool at night with a NW-N-NE
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Do you have some temp ratings for your bag(s)?
mihiker
LNT Expert

Post by mihiker »

Yeah, fonix, the Nooksack is rated to +35F.
The liner is a thin poly, rated to add 8 Degrees F.
I was thinking if it was too cold in the liner only, add my jacket.
I'm thinking more of the bulk savings rather than the weight.

My concern is that you can never be sure just how cold it might get, even in August.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

As you mentioned, you want to be prepared. I'd venture a safe bet on being fine with a 35 degree bag without the liner, but if you have the room and don't mind the weight, there's no harm in bringing the liner. In my experience on IR, it's always coldest by the lake. If I recall your itinerary at this late hour, I believe you'll be spending a few days on Lake Superior. Daisy Farm will be the coldest, followed by probably Chippewa or even Lane Cove. These are the only times you'd actually have to fear real "cold" temps.

In my experience, I've lasted with a 32 degree bag in the middle of June (there was still flippin' ice on the shore), and I've also used said bag the last week of August as well (also at Rock and Daisy Farm). It's easier for me to crawl into my bag with a lightweight merino wool beanie and a pair of SmartWool socks on than haul either a) a warmer (bigger) bag, or b) a liner. Having a beanie isn't a bad idea anyway, no matter when you go to IR...by the lake at night can get cold, but there's really no better time to sit outside and listen to the noises and look at the immaculately-starred sky.

And lastly, if you really do get cold, put on another layer, stuff the bottom of your sleeping sack with some clothes, or snuggle :wink: Regardless of your chosen method for warming up, a 32 degree bag in August should be more than enough.

EDIT: Just for reference, I'm a skinny guy who sleeps cold (especially in the feet), but I'm an absolute gear nerd when it comes to sleeping bags. :)
mihiker
LNT Expert

Post by mihiker »

Fonix - I agree that the +35 bag should be fine. My original post/question was whether just the liner would be sufficient (no bag).

I have come to the conclusion that I'd probably end up cold with only the liner.

I have in the past also relied on a beanie, gloves, long johns and fleece jackets to boost my on clod nights. (no sock for me, I'm a barefoot guy!)

As far as snuggling, I'm not sure if my test mate, Bob would appreciate it . . . :!:

Thanks for your comments!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Whoops, guess I should read better. Then my answer after properly reading your question would be "don't just rely on your liner;" bring your entire bag.
DSKlos
NewbieCake

Post by DSKlos »

Funny, I'll be on the island during the same time, and was contemplating the very same thing. Last year I took my zero degree bag, layed on top of it, and was absolutely burning alive. This year I plan to take a small fleece blanket, socks, hat and long johns. I figure between those and my sleeping pad, I'll be fine... and if not, there are two other people in the tent with whom I can mooch heat from 0:-)

We should compare notes afterward and see how we did relative to eachother - I'll be on the north side of the island, and rarely inland. Hopefully I don't come back a popsicle.

-
Dan
rainelde
NewbieCake

Post by rainelde »

I will be very curious to see what it is like in early august. We were there in June last summer and froze at night anywhere near superior. Up on the ridge by chickenbone we were fine. This time though I am not talking a chance since a storm wooped up last time and things were ugly and the boat was even a day late. zero degree bag for me, i will give up something else for weight. :lol:
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Was up in Eastern part of the UP last weekend padddling with Nick (more on that later) on Lake Huron, it got cool the last night, into the 40's.