ATTENTION: If you are having problems logging into the forum, please delete your browser's cookies.

What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2016 Edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Re: What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2016 Edition

Post by SoonerDad » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:48 am

I got some socks......I buy less and less at REI every year....I am surprised they have not sent out a search party to look for me :-)

jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I agree with the ...spending less each year at REI...that dividend doesn't equate, with their higher prices compared to many other retailers.

Occasionally at the "OUTLET" you may find a deal, but you don't get the dividend at the outlet.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne

Mark_NK8Q
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Mark_NK8Q » Thu May 26, 2016 2:25 pm

On the subject of camp chairs that are light enough to pack, I purchased (with a $50 gift card from my parents and managed to get a "floor model discount" from Cabelas) the Helinox Camp Chair, which is a bit heavier at 2 pounds 10 ounces. I would never have spent that much on a chair but given the discounts it was only an out of pocket of about $50 for me and has been worth every penny. Others have tried it and loved it as well. I tried their smaller Helinox chair but I found it difficult to sit into or get out of and opted for the slightly larger one. At the time I weighed about 240 pounds, though, while now I'm at 200 pounds, so I might not have as many difficulties anymore. The smaller one I would have to roll out of and onto the ground to then stand up while the larger one I can sit and stand directly, no rolling required.

https://www.rei.com/product/882321/helinox-camp-chair

I have a couple of days left yet for the 20 - 30% off sale to figure out what else to get from REI that I may need for the ISRO trip (now in less than one month!). I have been able to get quite a few items at cost from my boss who is a deal for Liberty Mountain, so that has been a big help. I also have a $100 REI gift card which will come in handy yet as well. Still planning ...

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:56 am

DonNewcomb wrote:I have not decided what to do with the whole $6.
I ended up buying a pair of boots from the website. Even though they were shipped from Georgia, I had to pay $15 to mail them to the REI return center in WA. So, I decided to wait until I was at an REI store to try boots. The $6 dividend was applied to the boots and credited to my credit card when I returned them. I eventually bought a pair of Keens when I was able to visit an REI store but I tried on about 6 pair in the process.