What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2016 Edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2016 Edition

Post by Ingo »

Well my dividend didn't quite cover it (hardly at all :? ), but I took advantage of the 20% off and a couple gift cards and splurged on a Sierra Designs Flash 3 FL tent: https://www.rei.com/product/879919/sier ... -3-fl-tent.

The appeal is that I usually keep my pack in the tent anyways and don't care about vestibules, I get annoyed when it rains in a tent when going in or out, I like to be able to control ventilation while in my sleeping bag, and the weight. The intent was to replace the couple's tent, but it's only a couple ounces heavier than my solo (2-person), so it will probably serve as a very luxurious solo tent, too--at least until I get a lighter 2-person.

I've only set it up, but like it a lot already. Weight is dead on the specs: 4lb 11oz all packed up, 4lb 3oz just tent and poles. 7 mins to set up the first time, staked out, without reading instructions, and dealing with packaging blowing across the yard. It was gusty, but it firmed up nicely once everything was clipped, and seemed a lot more stable than it might appear from it's shape. I will guy it out if any chance of any significant wind--but always have. The line-locs on the stake out points are great and make adjusting easy. Inside feels huge, even though the floor space is a fairly standard 3-person size--headroom and full height vertical walls make difference. Would be no problem with 4 people playing cards on a rainy day.

The jury is out on the attached fly: it certainly makes it quick and simple to set up. My questions are how will it hold up and how difficult is it to repair (hopefully won't need to find out). And if there is any condensation when you pack up, it's going to be on the inside and at least dampen the tent itself--you obviously can't fold the fly into itself to contain the moisture. We will see if that's an issue or not. Time will tell.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Re: What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2016 Edition

Post by JerryB »

I ordered a fix-blade knife-- the "Gerber, Strongarm Fixed Serrated, COYOTE". I have absolutely no way to justify it, as I already own many folding knives. But with the dividend and discount, it was almost free! I could not afford not to get it.

I may start a thread of preferred knives--big, small, folding, fixed, weight cost, etc.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I have no idea what to spend mine on, but it's only $5.46. Everything I bought last year was on clearance, except for the Allite chair I picked.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Like Ingo I decided the 20% off coupon (and a meager dividend) justified getting a new, lighter tent. I've been eyeing the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 (https://www.rei.com/product/865389/big- ... -ul-2-tent) and picked it up today.

It was roomy enough to ride out a rain storm (the 1 person models just seemed a bit tight, and didn't lose all that much weight) and the Copper Spur can be 100% freestanding, compared to their Fly Creek and slightly lighter models. Can't wait to try it on the trail.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

My dividend was only about $9 and some change but I invested that and the 20% discount in a new women's backpack as a gift for my niece. She hiked the Greenstone along with my daughter and I in her first backpacking trip two years ago using an older borrowed pack. I'm trying to encourage both of the young ladies to take up backpacking as a lifetime activity. I figure that the new pack will incentivize her to complete the Pictured Rocks Trail with my daughter and I late this summer. I purchased an Ursack bear bag for myself since I expect to be canoeing in bear country at Killarney and Algonquin Provincial Parks for my next few trips.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Tom wrote:
It was roomy enough to ride out a rain storm
I rode out quite a gulley washer storm at Lane cove in mine last year.

You'll really like it. I also went with the #2 for a small bit more weight you get lots more room and an extra vestibule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I have not decided what to do with the whole $6.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Lots of new gear for 2016. New gear is always exciting.

I've been eyeing up the Therm-a-rest Treo chair for a while now, and think that a 20% off coupon will help seal the sale:

https://www.rei.com/product/898531/ther ... treo-chair
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Finally pulled the plug on a Marmot Precip jacket (although my dividend was only like $20).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

DonNewcomb wrote:I have not decided what to do with the whole $6.
Somehow I always conveniently overlook that limitation... :)

Honestly, it always seems to be the 20% off coupon that gets me to the store; some of that stuff rarely, if ever, goes on sale.
Tightlines01 wrote:Finally pulled the plug on a Marmot Precip jacket
Back at you with the product love. Marmot seems to hit a home-run with that design and manufacture; it just works. I burned through two other "higher end" rain jackets before finally picking up a Precip; it's been a solid purchase. I'd probably would have picked up the pants, too, if I hadn't scored a pair of Filson River Bank rain pants at the Filson outlet store in MN. I always feel like when I'm wearing the Precip, the pants, and my gortex boots I could jump off the back of the Voyageur at McCargoe Cove, walk up to shore, and still be dry.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

fonixmunkee wrote:Lots of new gear for 2016. New gear is always exciting.

I've been eyeing up the Therm-a-rest Treo chair for a while now, and think that a 20% off coupon will help seal the sale:

fonix, might I suggest an alternative?

https://www.rei.com/product/846402/alit ... rfly-chair

It's lighter by a pound, same weight capacity and packs smaller. I love mine. I was apprehensive at first with the whole idea of balancing on 2 points of contact, but it isn't a big deal at all. Spent an entire day rain bound in it under a tarp with no issues and very comfortable.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Bought a pair of Mamut hiking boots.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

hooky wrote:
fonixmunkee wrote:Lots of new gear for 2016. New gear is always exciting.

fonix, might I suggest an alternative?

It's lighter by a pound, same weight capacity and packs smaller. I love mine. I was apprehensive at first with the whole idea of balancing on 2 points of contact, but it isn't a big deal at all. Spent an entire day rain bound in it under a tarp with no issues and very comfortable.
I second Hooky's love for the Alite chair.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

A drysuit for my trip this year. $6 and 20% off of $1200. Woohoo!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

hooky wrote: fonix, might I suggest an alternative?

Dangit. That is smaller. I already ordered the Treo, though. Maybe when I'm up for the next tech-refresh I'll pick this one up. I bookmarked it :)