GPS for Microsoft Phone

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

GPS for Microsoft Phone

Post by Nick »

I'm generally technologically challenged (I learned to type on a manual typewriter in the 60s). My current GPS is a 2001 vintage Etrex Summit. I'm told that I can use my Microsoft Lumina 640 phone as a GPS and can include USGS Top Maps, too (I currently have the USGS quadrangle maps cut down with UTMs written on them and covered in plastic sheeting).

I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the choices in the app store, and I've downloaded a couple only to find they are not very user friendly. Any suggestions? I'm planning a paddle from McCargo to Windigo in early May.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: GPS for Microsoft Phone

Post by Base654 »

I'm an Iphone guy, but my experience with battery life make phone GPS unusable for more than a one day trip. I bought a USGS topo for my trip this year. I am bringing my Etrex Vista just in case I blow out to sea and can't see land. I might put portages and camp sites in because I have it. I don't know if you have much maps experience, but the island has quite a few distinct land marks to dead reckon by.

Never paddled the Island, don't take this for gospel.

Rod
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: GPS for Microsoft Phone

Post by DonNewcomb »

Be sure that whatever app you pick does NOT require a cell signal to work.
Also, when using, turn off WiFi, BlueTooth and put the phone in "Airplane Mode" so that it becomes just a handheld computer.