Food Cache

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Coolkat
NewbieCake

Food Cache

Post by Coolkat »

If this is covered somewhere else please just point me in the right direction. Two summers ago a friend and I did 8 days on Isle Royale. This late summer we planning on doing 12 days. Is it possible to somehow get a stash of food placed at Windigo? How late into the season are the visitor centers operating? Our plans could change but right now we are planning on leaving the island on the last ferry of the season.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Food Cache

Post by fonixmunkee »

According to the 2016 Greenstone (Park Newsletter), the Windigo store is open through 9/11. The last ferry out of Grand Portage is 10/6, so you'll just miss it. However, there might be someone who is closing the shop down who might hook you up. The people that run the store are very friendly. Give them a call: http://www.rockharborlodge.com/windigo-camper-cabins
Coolkat
NewbieCake

Post by Coolkat »

Thanks for the input. Right now the plan is to get into Rock Harbor on the 19th via the Queen and hike the island (probably) clockwise using the Feldtmann and Minong and leave Rock Harbor on the 30th. Just didn't feel like carrying 12 days of food if I didn't have to. :)
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

You might want to check out this topic about food drops....

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1477
Coolkat
NewbieCake

Post by Coolkat »

Thanks for the link! Very helpful. However, looks like I should still make a call since we will be on the island after the store/s close for the season.