Why you should use liquid fuel

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Why you should use liquid fuel

Post by johnhens »

jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Why you should use liquid fuel

Post by jrwiesz »

There are a couple things they made no mention of:
1) No mention of long distant hiking tests.
2) You "can" recycle the used up canisters.(OOPS!- They did mention recycle MSR canister)
3) How many people have suffered accidental burns, due to spilled fuel from a canister?(Possibly some one has, maybe?)

Is MSR losing market share, due to the masses switching to canisters?
I use and enjoy many MSR products, including two of their white gas stoves.
The 5 pluses mentioned, are good points.

But, it seems I always put the Jetboil in the pack now days, when I head out for a hike.
I also have a Campingaz canister; maybe not used as much, I would believe, in the USA as in foreign countries. Still, a popular canister.

On Isle Royale and most outings, I just stay with my Jetboil.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I use both white gas and cannister stoves. For kayaking, I use Peak 1 Expedition 2 burner stove that uses the powermax fuel (I have a bunch of the fuel). For backpacking, an MSR Microrocket. For longer trips, I use a Whisperlite, more efficient fuel wise. For winter trips, a MSR Dragonfly. I have played with the Whitebox alchohol stove. I used a Whisperlite when I hiked the AT, never had a problem with it, easy to clean and maintain.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

jrwiesz wrote:There are a couple things they made no mention of:
1) No mention of long distant hiking tests.
2) You "can" recycle the used up canisters.(OOPS!- They did mention recycle MSR canister)
3) How many people have suffered accidental burns, due to spilled fuel from a canister?(Possibly some one has, maybe?)
4) The most efficient and safe liquid fuel, kerosene, is nasty stuff that stinks and stains whatever it gets on.
5) Liquid fuel stoves can be temperamental and difficult to light.

A gas appliance is sort of like my electric chainsaw. It just runs. Put it on the shelf for 5 years then plug it in and it runs. Petroleum fueled devices have to be cared for and put away much like gasoline appliances.
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

While I have used the SVEA 123 since the 70's without any issues, since transitioning to sea kayaks we now carry a back-up Sierra Zip Stove (http://www.zzstove.com/) and reduce the amount of fuel we take. If nothing else it provides a little ambiance while watching the sunset at Long Point or Rainbow Cove...
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
dalyhiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dalyhiker »

I have an msr liquid fuel stove, but haven't used it in 10+ years and then only used it in the winter. I usually use my pocket rocket or a homemade alcohol stove.