Therm-a-Rest Mattresses

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Therm-a-Rest Mattresses

Post by IncaRoads »

I need a warmer pad for those September nights in the shelters. I currently use a Therm-a-Rest self inflating ProLite. In searching through the Forums I see that many are using the NeoAir XLite. I am mostly a side sleeper and I wonder if the NeoAir Trekker may be a better match?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Re: Therm-a-Rest Mattresses

Post by Ingo »

Looking at the specs, the Xlite has a slightly higher R-value than the Trekker. I think the only advantage of the Trekker, perhaps, is more ground coverage with the shape. Personally I tried several different inflatables and ended up back with a self-inflating foam (a TR anniversary ed. comparable to the Prolite Plus).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Some of the coldest nights of my life were late May in shelters on IR with temps in the low 30's in a 30 degree bag, mid weight long johns, socks, stocking cap and a Trekker. Even setting the tent up in the shelter was no help. I've slept comfortably on the ground with that same set up into the low 20's. My son was snug and toasty in only a t-shirt and the same bag. He was sleeping on a $5 closed cell foam pad.

I don't think the price is worth it for the extra coverage, it might actually be worse. It's amazing to me how the raised floor of those shelters just bleed the heat from you on the air mattress. A mylar space blanket underneath your current pad would probably be better.

Maybe an Exped would be the way to go, but they're heavy. Big Agnes also makes some nice insulated pads and they suggest closed cell foam underneath in cold weather.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I use an REI Stratus. I have a half dozen pads in the basement and this is the one I always take. I have used it for winter camping and it is my only pad that doesn't put my hip on the ground (I'm a side sleeper too. ) It's not the lightest, but it is a lot cheaper than other choices. I have two early expeds and neither lasted a full trip. They both developed pin holes and went flat by morning.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

I do like the ease of use with the self inflating ProLite mattress. Maybe a thin layer of closed cell foam under the current pad would keep the cold at bay. My only concern is the added volume of the additional insulation layer.

Edited to Add: I just ordered a Gossamer Gear Thin Light Foam Pad (1/8" thick, 3 oz., r-value approx. 0.45, $18).
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

My son lashes his to the outside of his pack, either horizontally underneath or vertically on the back. It depends on which pack he's using.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I have an Exped Down Mat. It is bulky and heavy, but it's downright thermonuclear-warm. I am a side sleeper as well and if I'm going any where that I expect the temps to be below freezing, this is the only pad I use.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Canoe Tripping is comfort level to the max. I use a Alps Mountaineering Velocity Twin air bed with Battery Pump. And extra closed cell foam pad lashed to portage pack for insulation. And yes, this closed cell foam goes between my air bed and sheets..... and I don't forget the two full-sized pillows for my noggin. :D
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I've been known to carry a piece of reflective bubble insulation as an extra layer under my mattress.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Exped Downmat7 has been well worth taking on many trips - despite its weight at over 2#, it is, as someone described above, thermonuclear warm. They also make a Downmat 9 which is their hardcore winter camping sleeping pad. If I use a different mattress, I often take a thin closed-cell foam to use underneath it and to use in my chair kit. My Downmat 7 is packed up and ready to go on the RangerIII tomorrow!
dalyhiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dalyhiker »

I like Don Newcombs idea. Also, you could just not stay in the shelters and go back to the tent on the ground.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Good deal on Steep and Cheap today on an Exped

http://www.steepandcheap.com/exped-down ... IwMDoxOjM6
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

My newly acquired Gossamer Gear 1/8” closed cell pad was useful in insulating my Thermarest ProLite from the shelter floors. However, temperatures were mild during my recent trip and it was hard to determine the exact insulation advantage. I will use it again as it is only 3 oz. and can be strapped to outside of pack. I did experience a slow leak in my ProLite and will continue my investigation into a suitable replacement.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Watch ebay for occasional Exped Winterlite.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I'm kinda down on Exped right now. My pillow which I loved blew it's internal seams last week on the island. Just like my pad, which I also loved, did a couple yrs ago. Hopefully they've fixed the problem...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH