Nemo Hornet vs. Big Agnes Fly Creek

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Nemo Hornet vs. Big Agnes Fly Creek

Post by Tortuga »

Finally decided it's time for a new tent. I started backpacking a few years ago and started off with the REI Passage 1, then Passage 2 tent. They are indestructible and have served me well, but at roughly 4-5 lbs they're both too heavy and too big for what I'm wanting. I've narrowed my search down to two options, and wanted to get some feedback if any of you have used these tents:

NEMO Hornet 2P tent: 2lbs, compresses to size of a football, better reviews.
https://www.rei.com/product/880476/nemo-hornet-2p-tent

BAA Fly Creek HV: 2lbs, more headspace, lower reviews.
https://www.rei.com/product/895955/big- ... v-ul2-tent

Wondering if anyone can seal the deal. I have one I'm leaning toward and curious to see what you all think. Thanks!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Nemo Hornet vs. Big Agnes Fly Creek

Post by JerryB »

I have had good luck with Big Agnes. I have a Copper Spur 2 now and, in very limited use so far, I love the two doors and vestibules. (I do find that the vestibules make me lazy and disorganized, but that is my problem.) I think it may be more expensive than the Fly Creek, but look for sales. To go in another direction, I also have the Big Agnes Scout UL2--uses trekking poles as supports. It is a 2 person tent which I use as a solo because it is so light. Great tent.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Also seconding the Big Agnes brand. I have the copper spur 3p that I share with my husband. It is the best tent. We love the headroom, lightweight, and space inside. Having two doors is clutch for us and ultimately sealed the deal when we were looking for tents. I would check into the copper spur line if you can.

Also wanted to add: Big agnes tents are on steep and cheep right now. Pretty good sales going on.
Last edited by IncaRoads on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge back to back posts.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Don't know the Nemo, but like your other witnesses, I've had good experiences with Big Agnes -- in my case, a Flycreek UL1 that I've used for the past 3 seasons. That translates to about 40 nights on the trail, most of them in the Sierras. It's easy to set up and has kept me dry in ridiculous torrential downpours. When no rain threatens, it's magical to see the stars (and meteors!) through the mesh roof. So far, there's very little sign of significant wear: to minimize weight, I abjure the footprint, and there are a few places where the floor is getting a little worn. Given the number of nights I've pitched it on granite, that seems fair enough.

Three notes: 1) It's not palatial. 2) it's not completely free standing. I mean, it stands up just fine without stakes, but the pitch isn't totally satisfying: if you don't stake out the back corners, the side of the tent across from the entrance collapses to a point; 3) I've gathered from people who backpack with other people that the two door design of the copper spur is a big bonus -- no one has to step one anyone's face getting into or out of the tent.
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

I tried the Fly Creek UL1 but ended up getting the Copper Spur UL1. I find the side entrance on the CS is much easier to us, it's free-standing and it's much roomier because the walls are more vertical.

I've been using it now for the past 3 years. Weathered some heavy rains with no problem. One caveat - syl-nylon tents sag when wet & have to be retensioned to maintain a taut pitch.
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Big Agnes was my "gut" feeling so I'm glad to see folks standing behind the brand.

Haven't considered a tarp-tent yet, but interesting that BA offers that too. Could be a smart choice especially for the Eastern half of IR when I'll be mostly in shelters.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

If you do start to consider a tarp tent, I have a Tarptent Rainbow and I really like it. My configuration is not free standing so it takes a bit more planning to find a good spot when camping off-trail. Very roomy and it has not let me down in in the worst of rainstorms. The side entrance makes entry/exit easy.

https://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html