Tarptent Double Rainbow?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Tarptent Double Rainbow?

Post by Tortuga »

So after considering a Big Agnes Copper Spur I'm now being drawn to a TarpTent Double Rainbow.

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

My question here is, for those of you who own one, is the Double Rainbow a good tent for Isle Royale conditions? The number one complaint I've seen has been a tendency for condensation. Almost every review mentions it, but because I've never owned a single-wall tent I've never dealt with significant condensation. Is it a big issue?
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Tarptent Double Rainbow?

Post by Base654 »

I don't have either of those two tents, but I have given up on single wall tents for Isle Royale. I tend to sleep hot and sweat a bit. I would always wake up with water around the inside edges of my tent. I unpack my gear so it all gets wet. The same thing happens with a double wall tent, but the moisture passes through the screen and condenses on the fly then runs to the ground. if there is any left on the fly in the morning, I just flip it during breakfast and pack up to let it dry. I also like to leave the fly off and watch the sky at night if the weather cooperates.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I have a Tarptent Rainbow and it it has worked very well for me on my last 3 Isle Royale trips (late May and early Sept.). I have not used the Tarptent Rainbow in humid summer conditions. It ventilates real well so I get minimum condensation, and what little moisture that does collect can be wiped down with a small microfiber personal camp towel. I also purchased a clip-in liner to protect against condensation droplets; I have stopped taking it on my trips since I have yet to run into a situation where it is needed (maybe in a very heavy rain/wind).
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

IncaRoads wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 pm I have a Tarptent Rainbow and it it has worked very well for me on my last 3 Isle Royale trips (late May and early Sept.). I have not used the Tarptent Rainbow in humid summer conditions. It ventilates real well so I get minimum condensation, and what little moisture that does collect can be wiped down with a small microfiber personal camp towel. I also purchased a clip-in liner to protect against condensation droplets; I have stopped taking it on my trips since I have yet to run into a situation where it is needed (maybe in a very heavy rain/wind).
The Double is able to be set up in free-standing mode with trekking poles, which is part of the reason I'm considering it. My IR trips this year are early June and mid-September, so I'm thinking condensation shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think I'm ready to take the plunge.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

The Double Rainbow, with 2 doors, should be even better at managing the ventilation. Tarptent also offers seam-sealing service at a modest charge; I let them seal my Rainbow.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

I have not had trouble with condensation, with my single walls on IR during late Aug early Sept trips.
YMMV.
Double Rainbow is a nice set-up.
All set-ups have some learning curve, single walls maybe more-so, that's the fun. :shock:
From reviews I have read, I don't think you will be disappointed with Tarptent. 8)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I have never had a condensation problem with single wall tents. I think proper set up is key for most single-wall tents, to minimize that risk.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I recently got a TarpTent Saddle 2, double-wall trekking pole set up. Have only used it a couple nights, but it sets up quick and easy. What I really like is that you can button down the fly all the way around, open it up on all 4 sides, or anything in between. We'll see how it works on my IR trip in a month.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Well I just pulled the trigger. I'll make sure to review it during my trip review next month. I'm only planning to tent camp 2 out of my 7 nights, but you never know if you might not be able to get a shelter. I the seam sealing service. Ain't nobody got time for that. I'm looking forward to shaving 2+lbs off my shelter.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

One thing about single-wall tents is that you want them to have more or less vertical walls, so that you don't tend to brush up against the walls a lot. I'd like to get a better look at the peak vents on that tent but the fact that they are included is a good sign.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

I have used the MSR missing link without disappointments, but, shaving a full pound off the weight, I switched to the Flylite.
The Flylite reminded me of the Tarptent Rainbow for use with hiking poles. Only 5 nights in it to date; happy so far.
Both of these definitely 3 season, with plenty of ventilation.

http://www.moontrail.com/msr/missinglink/add_tent.php

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/flylite-2 ... le-shelter

I just can't see going to a tarp only set-up, if I have to bring tarp, bug net, bivy sac, hiking poles, etc.
The weight ends up at or above that of a good light single wall tent. :!:

So good luck to the OP with the new gear; I look forward to a trip report and review.
And always remember,

Isle Royale Rocks! :D
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Holy smokes, the Double Rainbow arrived today and I cannot believe I'm about to say this, but... it might be too big! Look forward to testing it on the trail, but man this thing is a definite 2 person tent. Super light and even with the semi-free standing set up (trekking poles at each end) very easy and quick to pitch. I'll include my thoughts on it in my trip report in June, unless I sneak in a camp before then.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Their Cloudburst 3 reminds me a lot of a medium Stephenson tent.