ULA Equipment Backpacks

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

ULA Equipment Backpacks

Post by Tortuga »

Hi team,

I'm on a mission to lighten my load and have taken some recent steps. So far I've saved over a pound on my sleeping bag, and am awaiting my new TarpTent Double Rainbow (saves 2.5 lbs off my previous tent).

My current backpack is an Osprey Aether 70, which is about 5 lbs flat. A friend has recommended the ULA brand to save weight. He uses their "Ohm," and while I'm definitely not ready to go that light, I am thinking about the ULA Circuit (which is about 2.5 lbs) http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

Just wondering if anyone here is a customer and if so, what do you think?
conmcb25
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: ULA Equipment Backpacks

Post by conmcb25 »

I have a Catalyst and love it. Its about ten years old. Been to the Porkies, NCT, Mt Rainier, Olympic National Park, Washington Coast. And countless day hikes.

My number 2 son also has one and used it on about a thousand miles of the PCT, he loves it.

My number 3 son has a Gregory Altoro (I think) because he likes bells and whistles. But he needs a new pack and his next one is going to be a ULA. (He was sold by mine and number 2 son's)

They are well constructed simple packs. (Less to go wrong). And the customer service is superb. If you lose a bunch of weight, ULA will work with you and get you a new waist belt for instance.

I really like the ULA's.
Donk_67
Trailblazer

Post by Donk_67 »

I also have the aether 70 and plan to purchase a circuit soon. I've test driven an ohm and find it to carry real well...my only complaint is the cinch straps for the hip belt are a bit tricky; two thinner straps versus one wide strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I have a Grainte Gear Leopard VC 46 and I really like it. Caught it on sale for $125. Their 60L version compares favorably to the circuit you're looking at. Their Crown 2.0 might be a viable option also, but I've never used that model. I also have their #4 portage pack in addition to the Leopard. Both of them are very solidly built while being light.

http://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/back ... -backpacks

IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I've been looking into getting an ULA Catalyst for a while now. Went to Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis last fall and tried one on. Very nice. Great construction and it fits better than my current pack. I think I will get one for my fall IR trip.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

just lamenting... I was talking to my Triathlon friend about buying a $4000 bicycle to save 4 pounds... he poked my belly and said "I know how to save 10 for free."
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

IncaRoads wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 pm I've been looking into getting an ULA Catalyst for a while now. Went to Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis last fall and tried one on. Very nice. Great construction and it fits better than my current pack. I think I will get one for my fall IR trip.
So they have them in stock? I'll be in the Twin Cities this weekend and might have to stop by to check it out. I lived up there for a few years and didn't even know they existed.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Base654 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:18 am just lamenting... I was talking to my Triathlon friend about buying a $4000 bicycle to save 4 pounds... he poked my belly and said "I know how to save 10 for free."
Ice cold!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

I believe Midwest Mountaineering only had the Catalyst in stock. I would give them a call before you stop by.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

IncaRoads wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:14 am I believe Midwest Mountaineering only had the Catalyst in stock. I would give them a call before you stop by.
I'll be up there for 2 weeks and really can't turn down a chance to go to an outdoors store. I've never seen ULA in person so it would be pretty instructive just to touch it, you know? Whether it's the one I'm seeking or not.
fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by fredly »

I've had a ULA CDT which I took on several hikes before getting the Circuit. The CDT was frameless and was good for 3 days in fall, but not much longer. The Circuit has a frame and larger capacity and carries like a dream. Can't say enough good things about their packs.
brendan_z
NewbieCake

Post by brendan_z »

I use both the ULA Circuit and the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Southwest. The ULA packs are really well put together. I prefer the external pockets on my Circuit. It is really easy to access water bottles without having to stop. The hip belt pockets are also better on the Circuit. When my girlfriend was in the market for a new packet, I pointed her toward the Circuit. You will for sure notice the weight difference vs. your Osprey.
AndyG
NewbieCake

Post by AndyG »

I had a just over 2lb Osprey Exos 58. Picked up an Ohm and it's fantastic. Pockets are much better than the Osprey, and it works well even with a heavy load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Finally got my ULA Catalyst. Thanks to Paul at Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis and Chris at ULA-Equipment for their help in getting me fitted properly. Looking forward to trying it out on my upcoming trip.