ATTENTION: If you are having problems logging into the forum, please delete your browser's cookies.

Flying with a stove

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Topic author
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 33

Flying with a stove

Post by johnhens » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:18 am

Some folks fly into Houghton or Duluth to get to IR. Some good info here for flying and liquid fuel stoves.

https://thesummitregister.com/flying-wi ... ium=social

paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Flying with a stove

Post by paulbates » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks, very useful info and link. Also for awareness, Isle Royale Seaplanes does not allow accelerants, including Esbit type solid fuel pellets, on their aircraft. You need to buy the available alcohol fuel on the island or ship solids and pick it up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lane
NewbieCake

Re: Flying with a stove

Post by Lane » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:14 pm

I called the vendor at Rock and was told they sell 'gas' at the marina for my stove. the one I didn't get yet. I read where someone bought a canister o the island but wrong threads for their stove. Since I never carried a fancy stove before - ala pocket rocket or similar - I want to be sure I can get the right fuel after we are dropped off the plane. Is there a selection of canisters for sale for the various brands of stoves? I thought they were interchangeable. And will I have to take out a loan to purchase it there?

Montana
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Montana » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:06 am

The store at Windigo sells the basic fuel canisters that fit MSR Pocket Rocket type stoves. The canisters are pretty much universal. If you want to see the selection at the store check out this Youtube video from a few years ago:

I didn't find the prices on the island too high -- a bit of an "island surcharge," but not out of line with what you would expect.

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Ingo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 am

Pretty much all the popular canister stoves (MSR, Jetboil, SnowPeak, Coleman, etc) sold today use the same type canister with a screw on thread, which the stores (RH & Windigo) carry. If there's any question, try it before hitting the trail.

Lane
NewbieCake

Post by Lane » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:06 am

Thank Yous, Montana and Ingo, and thanks to whomever made that video... :D