Drop off

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

tphanson
NewbieCake

Drop off

Post by tphanson »

My wife and I are coming up on September 1st out of Grand Portage, we will be starting our hike from Rock Harbor but know we'll stop at Windigo first. We'll be out for 6 nights, is there someplace to leave a package with some stuff at Windigo that we can pick up when we arrive back? Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Drop off

Post by Ingo »

Unfortunately not.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Montana
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Montana »

You have a couple of options:

1) Mail a package to yourself in Windigo and pick it up on the dock when you arrive there at the conclusion of your hike (see the Park Service website for details).
2) Make arrangements with the folks that run the Voyageur II and have them deliver the package in Windido (basically the same option as #1, but without the use of USPS).

The downside of both options is that you have to be at the dock when the package arrives by boat. Also, you are at the mercy of Mother Nature, if the seas are rough, the package could be delayed.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Montana wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 am You have a couple of options:
2) Make arrangements with the folks that run the Voyageur II and have them deliver the package in Windido (basically the same option as #1, but without the use of USPS).

The downside of both options is that you have to be at the dock when the package arrives by boat. Also, you are at the mercy of Mother Nature, if the seas are rough, the package could be delayed.
Option #2 has the advantage that you can give the box to Voyageur II's office and ask for delivery on a certain day (They do charge for the service). With the post office method you have no control on the day of delivery and can only hope that the ranger at Windigo is in a mood to hold it for you.

As @Montana says, all of this is at the mercy of the weather. Our schedule was thrown off by a day when Voyageur II was delayed by weather and didn't make their run on schedule. This delayed the delivery of one of two supply drops we'd arranged.
mntentman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by mntentman »

If you are on the boat from Grand Portage, couldn't you leave a bag at the camp store at Windigo, for a fee, when you stop there? (Although in the period of time the boat stops at Windigo, I am not sure there would be time to run up and leave it.)
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

mntentman wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am If you are on the boat from Grand Portage, couldn't you leave a bag at the camp store at Windigo, for a fee, when you stop there? (Although in the period of time the boat stops at Windigo, I am not sure there would be time to run up and leave it.)
I don't recall that they offer that service at the Windigo store (although they do at the R.H. lodge). You could contact the lodge at 906-337-4993 if you want to double-check. But as you pointed out, there probably isn't enough time before the boat leaves anyways.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

Ingo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 am
mntentman wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am If you are on the boat from Grand Portage, couldn't you leave a bag at the camp store at Windigo, for a fee, when you stop there? (Although in the period of time the boat stops at Windigo, I am not sure there would be time to run up and leave it.)
I don't recall that they offer that service at the Windigo store (although they do at the R.H. lodge). You could contact the lodge at 906-337-4993 if you want to double-check. But as you pointed out, there probably isn't enough time before the boat leaves anyways.
They do offer a package storing service at the Windigo store, fyi. We were able to leave a box there and its ~$3 a day.

Paul
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Good to know! Thanks Paul.
vgeh
NewbieCake

Post by vgeh »

Good timing, Paul. I was about to send you a message about drop off/pick up after reading your trip report. Thanks for pointing out to your trip report in my thread.
Did you drop off the package at Windigo in person or was it a mail?

I am thinking if I can mail part of my trip food to Windigo Store directly if the store offers this service. I will probably ship in advance to avoid any delays due to weather.
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

vgeh wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:48 pm Good timing, Paul. I was about to send you a message about drop off/pick up after reading your trip report. Thanks for pointing out to your trip report in my thread.
Did you drop off the package at Windigo in person or was it a mail?

I am thinking if I can mail part of my trip food to Windigo Store directly if the store offers this service. I will probably ship in advance to avoid any delays due to weather.
I dropped off the box I shipped to myself. I originally shipped our last few days supplies to the NPS / Windigo and timed it around the after we came off the Minong. It turns out we didn't use everything we had in our packs (extra days food), so we got the box and rearranged the contents and took it to the store to check in for the last few days. In hindsight that was a little too close timing. Make the ship by date T-3 days of when you need it. They boat doesn't run every day, and to your point, Lake Superior weather can delay things

Next time I will ship: C/O <me> at the Voyageur II, Grand Portage, MN 55605. Put a sticker on the lower left front saying:
- Please ship to Windigo by ##/##/17 (T-3 as mentioned above)
- Contents: Camping food (/ supplies / fuel)
- NPS: Please deliver to the Windogo store and sender will pay incurred storage fees on arrival

I will also try leaving a message for the Windigo store with my intentions for the package. The people that run the store are great, but I've not had the best luck getting through.

If you live in the midwest, I would ship 6-7 business days before your T-3 date. Per the post, the boat may deliver it right away. If you're shipping fuel, let me know, it adds a little more to to the process.

Paul
vgeh
NewbieCake

Post by vgeh »

Sorry for late response.

I need the food mail at Windigo store on 3Sept(Sunday) morning. I will pick up the food first thing in the morning on Sunday and start my hike back to RH.
I am planning to mail my food(no fuel) from Southern Indiana on Monday evening or Tuesday morning. USPS postage calculator says, Thursday or Friday delivery. The Voyager is scheduled to go to Island on Saturdays(Mondays and Wednesdays too). Like you mentioned, I will post my intention to pick up from store so the store would hold my package for a day.

Thank you for the detailed info.
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

Ingo wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:37 am Good to know! Thanks Paul.
Yep.. I didn't see that documented anywhere beforehand. We walked in to the store with our box and asked the couple that seasonally runs the store what it would take to store it for our last few days. There was a form to fill out and the fee is paid when you pick it back up X number of days.

Paul
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

vgeh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:37 pm Sorry for late response.

I need the food mail at Windigo store on 3Sept(Sunday) morning. I will pick up the food first thing in the morning on Sunday and start my hike back to RH.
I am planning to mail my food(no fuel) from Southern Indiana on Monday evening or Tuesday morning. USPS postage calculator says, Thursday or Friday delivery. The Voyager is scheduled to go to Island on Saturdays(Mondays and Wednesdays too). Like you mentioned, I will post my intention to pick up from store so the store would hold my package for a day.

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy your trip! Please fill us in back here on your box pre-shipping experience.

Thanks!
Paul
vgeh
NewbieCake

Post by vgeh »

paulbates wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:35 am
vgeh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:37 pm Sorry for late response.

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy your trip! Please fill us in back here on your box pre-shipping experience.

Thanks!
Paul

Sure, Paul. I am planning to post a detailed report. Will include the food drop off experience too.
I shipped my package! There was issue on the mailing address at USPS, but quick call to the Voyageur II was helpful. By the way, what is the store hours? If it is not until 9, then I will probably take a good sleep. lol
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

vgeh wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 pm Sure, Paul. I am planning to post a detailed report. Will include the food drop off experience too.
I shipped my package! There was issue on the mailing address at USPS, but quick call to the Voyageur II was helpful. By the way, what is the store hours? If it is not until 9, then I will probably take a good sleep. lol
It is 9 Est, I just verified with my daughter Nicky. We were pretty tired and turned it into a "zero" day. The interpretive programs are really interesting to listen to and are right there.

Paul