First Trip: Hammocks, Huginning Loop, August 2018

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

lindseyrey
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

First Trip: Hammocks, Huginning Loop, August 2018

Post by lindseyrey »

My husband and I are visiting for the first time 21-22 August 2018. We will be staying just one night.

Few facts:
- we're aged 35 and 45
- in good health
- we're regular walkers and cyclists, just started hiking this autumn 2017
- I do have a bad knee, but I know my limits

Few questions:

1) We don't know the isle, so we're picking just the Huginning Cove loop for our hiking and camping. We're not extreme hikers/campers, so we wanted to keep it fairly simple. Am I understanding that Huginning Cove will provide us a fairly good beginners taste of Isle Royle? Or would another trail make more sense? We'll be arriving into Windigo.

(The reason I posted this in the gear and supplies section)
2) We like hammock camping, but from what I've read it can be hit or miss on the isle. Does Huginning provide a decent place to hang? If there's not a place to hang, for one night will we survive in our sleeping bags and pads on the ground? Should we bring a tent? Thoughts??
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First Trip: Hammocks, Huginning Loop, August 2018

Post by Ingo »

Welcome to the forums!

The Huginnin Loop sounds perfect for your trip. It's a beautiful spot and a great choice for a 1 night taste of the island! I did it a few years ago with an iffy knee, and while there are some ups and downs, it's not a terribly difficult trail. I'd highly recommend trekking poles, however, especially with any knee issues. The trail can be rocky, particularly the stretch along the shoreline.

I'm not a hammock camper but my recollection is that it shouldn't be difficult to find a place to hang at Huginnin. I think if you have a decent tarp setup for them you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend going without any sort of shelter, however. The weather is just too unpredictable. Also, being on the shore it can be significantly colder with the wind coming off the lake.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

There are plenty of trees at the cove. They should work for you.
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

We camped there last summer. We went through the same pre-trip hammock concerns.. and you'll be able to hang there.

You need to make sure to avoid birch/small birch trees for your hammock as they can pull up. However I used a birch > 1ft diameter at several sites, I just convinced myself that they were strong enough before hanging there.

Look around at all of the campsites that are available. One of them is off to the east and nicely secluded.

Paul
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

paulbates wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 am You need to make sure to avoid birch/small birch trees for your hammock as they can pull up. However I used a birch > 1ft diameter at several sites, I just convinced myself that they were strong enough before hanging there.
Make sure they're alive and big enough. You'll be fine.
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

Was there last August! I thought it was an easy hike. I'm 47 and on the chunky side so you should find it a great hike. I like the sight off to the east, but you had to look for the trail to get there, it was not obvious. If the water is calm you should be able to walk the beach to it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk