Hammocks

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Hammocks

Post by chief54 »

Looking to give a hammock a try, any suggestions which set up to get, company, type, tarps etc. Do not know anything about them but am getting up there in age and it is getting harder to sleep on ground. Thanks
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Hammocks

Post by Donk_67 »

Hammock forum. Plenty of good info there. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Check out Shug on youtube. He is the hammock guru. Sintax77 is another youtube hammocker. You can learn a lot just from watching them. I personally am a ground dweller so I dont have much else to contribute.
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

Thanks, sneakymonkey, enjoyed your video
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

thanks for watching! Took me 5 videos to get the whole trip covered and we are planning a longer trip this year! So much editing! Glad you enjoyed it.
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

The big 3 are hammock with mosquito netting that fits, straps to hang it and a tarp you trust to keep you dry.

I used a Moskito Kakoon from byer this summer on isleroyale. Having the built in mosquito netting was important on IR in the summer. At +6'5", it was easily long enough for me. I got their hammock strap system which was easy to use/adjust.

I used a Bear Butt rainfly. A little on the smallish side but kept me dry. Cleans easily and dries out very quickly... makes getting out of camp in the morning fast.

Weight is another thing to check- Moskito-kakoon - 1.38 and the fly .88 a total. .64 for their straps = just under 3bls for everything.
about $115 between the 3 items

I'm at the same point you are, getting to hard sleeping on the ground. My first trip to IR was in the 60s when I was around 10 :)

Paul
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

Sneakymonkey I am also in planing stages for a 2 week trip over new moon in June for some astrophotography.
Paulbates, thanks for the info, I will check your suggestions out, have been looking at a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I also went out to IR when I was 10 in 63 and have been back many many times. Part of my Coast Guard career was spent on a buoy tender in the late 70's out of Duluth that maintained all the aids to navigation,buoys, lighthouses, been to all the lighthouses on the lake etc. on Lake Superior. I specifically asked to be stationed on this cutter so I could go back to IR. When ship would be working buoys at IR,I would take leave when possible and have ship drop me off at Windigo and pick me up in Rock 10 days later, some of the best times of my life. I also lived in Alaska for over 20 years and would make a trip down pretty much every summer. 2 weeks on IR and 2 weeks in Denali NP.
Last edited by chief54 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARRC
NewbieCake

Post by ARRC »

chief54 wrote:Sneakymonkey I am also in planing stages for a 2 week trip over new moon in June for some astrophotography.
Paulbates, thanks for the info, I will check your suggestions out, have been looking at a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I also went out to IR when I was 8 in 63 and have been back many many times. Part of my Coast Guard career was spent on a buoy tender in the late 70's out of Duluth that maintained all the aids to navigation,buoys, lighthouses, been to all the lighthouses on the lake etc. on Lake Superior. I specifically asked to be stationed on this cutter so I could go back to IR. When ship would be working buoys at IR,I would take leave when possible and have ship drop me off at Windigo and pick me up in Rock 10 days later, some of the best times of my life. I also lived in Alaska for over 20 years and would make a trip down pretty much every summer. 2 weeks on IR and 2 weeks in Denali NP.
I just bought a Warbonnet blackbird xlc. Haven't had a chance to use it, but the quality is outstanding as with their tarps. Planning on getting a wooki underquilt, just haven't decide what temp. Plan on strap and toggle like in Shugs videos with whoopie slings with hooks.
As mentioned above Shugs videos are very educational as well as entertaining. There is also a hammock camping group on Facebook.
Think I'm headed to the island in may to do the Feldtmann loop, then back in August to hopefully do a paddling trip.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I hung on some of the Feldtmann loop in the fall of 14 at Feldtmann Lake and Siskiwit Bay before heading east to spend the 3rd night at S Desor. Very enjoyable hike with a side trip to Rainbow cove for the sunset on the first night.
wiximages
NewbieCake

Post by wiximages »

I have a Clark NX -270 and love it.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

ARRC
NewbieCake

Post by ARRC »

https://youtu.be/QlIeq459Gsw

This may help! Best hammock, how to videos, I've ever seen.

ARRC
NewbieCake

Post by ARRC »

https://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0

Oops! Meant this series (:. All his videos are great though.