Tent for 3, or individual?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Tent for 3, or individual?

Post by Tightlines01 »

as if you need another vote for a tarp, one really great use I found was a wind block in the shelters... While I LOVE the shelters in IR, they tend to sleep a good bit cooler because of how open they are and the tent typically locks in a little body warmth. While some people get around this by setting the tent up inside the shelter, I prefer to use the tarp as a wind break against the screen wall by the sleeping area. It's amazing how much warmer it feels without the wind on your face in your sleeping bag. Regarding June trips, it can be fantastic weather, but two years ago, I took my sons on their first trip and one day the temps plummeted....It was raining and you could see your breath all day. We spent the day as a zero day in a shelter at Daisy playing cards, drinking hot drinks and sitting in our sleeping bags with every layer of clothing we had on. I was VERY glad for the tarp as a wind break that day!
pyrowaves
NewbieCake

Post by pyrowaves »

Ingo wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 pm I'd also consider a sil-nylon one to save weight. A 10x10 could be set up similarly. I've been happy with mine I got here (most reasonable price I found at the time): https://www.shop.backpackingadventurege ... ltarps.htm. It replaced my Kelty that I've had for years and otherwise been happy with. I have the 12x12 it's way too big and heavy for backpacking, IMO. Although great for canoeing and car camping.
Thanks I'll check them out.
booyah
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by booyah »

For two people I really like the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3, by that name or the Ibex name it can be had generally for around $100 if you bargin hunt. Used this with my daughter on our trip to the isle earlier this year. Packed the way I carry it (minimal stakes and tieouts) it weighs in at 5lbs 10oz, which for the space is pretty awesome.
For a 3 person backpacking tent its palatial, at less than 3lbs per person (used for two) or less than 2lb/person when used for 3
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have a 1 person and 2 person Big Agnes (Copper Spur) that I love.