Rain pant recommendations

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Rain pant recommendations

Post by Ingo »

My trusty old Red Ledge rain pants started peeling at the seams last trip, so looking for new ones. The only thing I don't care for is that they just barely fit over the boots, but a relatively minor annoyance. I may stick with them but am looking at alternatives and suggestions.
Criteria (besides the obvious, they must keep me dry):
- 9 oz or less
- wind proof
- preferably $50 or less, $100 absolute max
- ankle zips would be nice, not required if otherwise fit over size 11 boots
- don't need pockets, just another source of potential water entry

What I've considered:
- Red Ledge, replace what I've had ($40, 9 oz)
- Marmot Precip, I like my jacket ($80, 9 oz, ankle zips, pockets)
- Frogg Toggs, light & cheap, shorter life ($25 for 10.4 oz suit, can't get pants separately. So 4-5 oz-ish for pants?)

Any opinions/experience or other suggestions? Probably will be used 70% canoeing and 30% hiking/backpacking. I probably use them as much as an outer layer when it's windy and cold.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Rain pant recommendations

Post by torpified »

I've used Frogg Toggs, and can contribute the following very limited intelligence:
--they run HUGE. Think David Byrne's big suit from Stop Making Sense. I bet they'd fit over your boots.
--their colors are pleasingly ugly.
--I never actually hiked in them. As luck would have it, no significant rain fell on the trips where I used them. I wore them around camp though, which included a bit of poking/scrambling around the environs.
(--I keep the jacket they came with in the car and have used it briefly in some significant rains. It kept me dry.)
--after about three weeks total of that kind of use, they were getting careworn. I'm not sure how long they'd last on a bushwack.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clothin ... s?slotId=6

I bit the bullet and bought some Gore Tex rain gear from Cabelas. I hunt, so it was justified by being double duty. Not the lightest, but it's been the driest stuff I've ever used and has been very durable over the last 3 years. Multiple 30-40 degree days in continuous rain and it's kept me dry. MT050 Quiet Pack Rainwear with Gore Tex and it's on sale right now. I have the jacket and pants.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

torpified wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:32 am --their colors are pleasingly ugly.
You have such a way of saying things, always makes me smile :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I have a 2 piece rain suit from Columbia. I haven't used the pants much but I'm "oversized" and they are loose fitting. I wear the jacket a lot and I am extremely pleased with it. Both are very lightweight. They sold separately at about $50 each. I noticed their 2 better line pants are presently off 40% discounted from $300 and $150. I can't vouch for either of them though, just thought you'd like to know about the sale. Their return policy is a flat $6 and 60 days.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

I splurged and got some Mountain Hardware Gore Tex and absolutely love them. Have used them from Isle Royale, 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine, even used them last spring on a 10 day raft trip down the Colorado River/Grand Canyon, to keep dry in mornings in the shade of canyon when hitting rapids, kept me dry which meant staying warm in the cold water of the river. I think it is the best investment i have made in all my backpacking gear.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

Probably not what you're looking for, but I love it.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tortuga wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:36 pm Probably not what you're looking for, but I love it.

I've seen those, and intrigued me if I did more straight backbacking. Unfortunately they don't work well sitting in a canoe--or for warmth when it's 40 something and the wind is blowing 20 something off the lake (in July) :shock:
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

Ingo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 pm
Tortuga wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:36 pm Probably not what you're looking for, but I love it.

I've seen those, and intrigued me if I did more straight backbacking. Unfortunately they don't work well sitting in a canoe--or for warmth when it's 40 something and the wind is blowing 20 something off the lake (in July) :shock:
Very fair point :D