First time IR trip in May. Does my gear list have any glaring holes?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Re: First time IR trip in May. Does my gear list have any glaring holes?

Post by cadenparulski »

DonNewcomb wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:04 pm How much does that multitool weigh? Are we talking about a micra @ < 2 oz or a Gerber @ almost 10 oz?
It's just a little one, but I'm probably not bringing it because I won't have any use for it outside of taking out splinters, which can be done with a knife.
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Post by cadenparulski »

As per all of your suggestions and critiques of my first list, I have created a second list that I feel will be much better in terms of space and weight. Still could probably use some tweaking, but I'm a lot happier with this list thanks to you guys.

Clothing:

-3 pairs wool socks
-1-2 pair polyester moisture-wicking socks (to sleep in, or extras in case something happens to the wool socks)
-4 pairs moisture-wicking boxer briefs (not sure of the material, but it is not cotton)
-1 pair athletic shorts
-1 pair merino-wool base layer pants
-1 pair light nylon sweatpants
-1 pair Frogg Togg rain pants (these are still a little bulky, but they are waterproof and cut wind like crazy. And are still smaller and lighter than my winter pants)
-2 athletic T shirts
-1 merino-wool base layer shirt
-1 fleece 1/4 zip-up shirt
-1 Frogg Togg rain jacket
-light hat and gloves
-1 pair gaiters
-1 pair crocs

Gear:

-Deuter ACT Lite 65L (+10) backpack
-Hammock tent (I know hammocks aren't the most ideal thing for IR, but I don't think I'll have trouble finding trees to hang from this time of year when no one will be there. Plus the hammock comes with an inflatable pad, something someone mentioned I should have. It also weighs 1.85 lbs in total, compared to my tent, which after a little digging I found out weighs 7.28 lbs)
-Rain fly (the hammock-tent doesn't come with one, but it only weighs 1.15 lbs. Still at a 4.28 lb surplus by switching away from my tent)
-0F sleeping bag (I don't remember the brand, but it is very small and lightweight)
-Anker PowerCore 20100 portable charger (I'm bringing my phone, purely for pictures and keeping track of time)
-watch (in case my phone dies or I drop it in a lake and I can no longer tell the time)
-inflatable pillow
-2 wide-mouth Gatorade bottles (this saves me a couple pounds, and I need something big enough to fit my filters into)
-2 Life Straws
-NatGeo IR map
-Black Spot Diamond headlamp
-long-handled spoon
-emergency blanket
-metal cup (for boiling water. This is small- it only holds 2 cups of water, and it is aluminum I believe. Very small and light.)
-UST fuel cubes (I don't have the money to spend on a Jetboil, and these little cubes kick ass)
-fuel cube stove (very small- and I can fit a block of the fuel cubes inside of this, saving room)
-disinfectant wipes
-super glue (in case my boots fall apart; they are a couple years old)
-Duct tape (As suggested I wrapped some around my poles, as opposed to taking the whole roll)
-TP
-2 bic lighters
-small camping towel (this is barely bigger than a rag. Not sure of the brand, but it dries ridiculously fast)
-small medical kit
-moleskin
-deodorant (it's the least I could do for myself, and it fits)
-paracord
-swiss army knife
-extra ziploc bags for trash (I stuck a trash bag in my pack as well, and I used a trash compactor bag to sort of line the inside of the main compartment of my pack to help keep moisture out. It literally fits perfectly)
-Ayaya aluminum trekking poles

Food: (I wasn't as concerned with changing this; I really like the MH meals, and I eat Clif bars like it's my job as it is)

9 assorted MH meals (I had room for one more, in case the boat is delayed or something)
25 Clif bars (I know there isn't much variety going on here, but I eat these things all the time anyway. I know what I'm in for)

If you compare my first list to this list, I think it's a good improvement concerning weight. I'm taking a few more items (really just clothing, I took a few items out of gear) but I should drop about 7 or 8 lbs. Obviously any further suggestions are welcome.

Also, is it typical to carry the sleeping bag on the outside of the bag? Mine hooks nicely onto almost anywhere on the bag, but I like to hook it through the two loops that hang off of the bottom of the pack. This is just what I've always done to save room in my main compartment.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

cadenparulski wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 am It's just a little one, but I'm probably not bringing it because I won't have any use for it outside of taking out splinters, which can be done with a knife.
OK. "Multi-tool" covers a lot of territory. I carry a Micra which weighs less than 2 oz and has many uses. I never carry the ~10 oz Gerber multi-tool when backpacking.

45 lbs still sounds like a lot of weight. If you go with a buddy, a lot of items can be shared. That phone charger weighs a lot. If you leave your phone in airplane mode it will draw almost no power. If you leave it hunting for a signal where there is none, even that big charger won't keep up.
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Post by cadenparulski »

DonNewcomb wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:49 am
cadenparulski wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 am It's just a little one, but I'm probably not bringing it because I won't have any use for it outside of taking out splinters, which can be done with a knife.
OK. "Multi-tool" covers a lot of territory. I carry a Micra which weighs less than 2 oz and has many uses. I never carry the ~10 oz Gerber multi-tool when backpacking.

45 lbs still sounds like a lot of weight. If you go with a buddy, a lot of items can be shared. That phone charger weighs a lot. If you leave your phone in airplane mode it will draw almost no power. If you leave it hunting for a signal where there is none, even that big charger won't keep up.
In my revised list above, I switched multi-tool with swiss army knife. It's lighter and has many more uses anyway.

I cut 4.3 lbs by switching to the hammock-tent (early birthday present, wasn't expecting to have something like that), and I will cut a few pounds by carrying less than half as much water. I also cut some gear out (extra flashlight, hanging rope, duct tape, etc.) and switched out some clothing with lighter options (although I added some smaller clothing items, like extra socks/undies that might push my weight back up a few ounces). All in all, I should be coming in around 35 or 36 lbs. Probably less considering I'll be wearing half of the clothing that I stuck in my pack to weigh it- so my early guesstimation would be ~33 lbs.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

If you do bring poles, consider getting some cheap rubber tips. This will not only stop them from sticking into mud, but it will give you a lot more traction on rocks (and reduce your noise too so you can see more wildlife).
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Clothing:

-3 pairs wool socks
-1-2 pair polyester moisture-wicking socks (to sleep in, or extras in case something happens to the wool socks)
-4 pairs moisture-wicking boxer briefs (not sure of the material, but it is not cotton)
-1 pair athletic shorts
-1 pair Frogg Togg rain pants (these are still a little bulky, but they are waterproof and cut wind like crazy. And are still smaller and lighter than my winter pants)
-2 athletic T shirts
-light hat and gloves
-1 pair gaiters
-1 pair crocs
You could still work on this section. IMO you have way too much here. I also dont see a trowel for digging catholes. Careful with the hammock set up. IRNP put out a post the other day asking folks to not bring hammocks. That said your tent is WAY too heavy at almost 8lbs for one person. Trust me, you dont want a 45lb pack on those trails.
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Post by cadenparulski »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 am
Clothing:

-3 pairs wool socks
-1 pair athletic shorts
-2 athletic T shirts
-light hat and gloves
-1 pair gaiters
-1 pair crocs
You could still work on this section. IMO you have way too much here. I also dont see a trowel for digging catholes. Careful with the hammock set up. IRNP put out a post the other day asking folks to not bring hammocks. That said your tent is WAY too heavy at almost 8lbs for one person. Trust me, you dont want a 45lb pack on those trails.
What would you suggest I drop? I wanted to drop the heavier stuff from my first list and add on lighter items so I could layer, and I have people telling me to bring more and then people telling me to bring less, so I don't even know what I'm supposed to believe. I just know to not bring any cotton.

I don't even know what's up with the tent. The specs on the bag say it's 7.28 lbs, but my scale says it's 4.5 lbs. Either way, it's between this and the hammock tent because I don't have the money to buy a smaller tent. I'm young and in shape so I'm not too worried about an extra 3 lbs. Embrace the suck.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

What would you suggest I drop? I wanted to drop the heavier stuff from my first list and add on lighter items so I could layer, and I have people telling me to bring more and then people telling me to bring less, so I don't even know what I'm supposed to believe. I just know to not bring any cotton.
You dont need all those socks. You are going for 4 days. 1 hiking pair, 1 sleeping pair (both wool) is all I would bring (MAYBE 1 extra if you are paranoid about socks). You dont need 4 pairs of underwear for 4 days (bring 2 max). Are you hiking in the shorts or the sweat pants? Personally I would drop both the shorts and the sweat pants and wear zip off hiking pants (then you have shorts and pants all in one). Base layer for sleeping and around camp is perfect. 1 shirt (drop the spare). The rest looks good.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

One thing I would not drop from the list is the emergency blanket or something similar, like a big trash bag, disposable poncho, etc. We were walking in a rain that lasted three solid days when we ran into a guy who left all his rain gear at home (because he'd never needed it before). We had nothing to give him, not even a trash bag to help keep the rain off. Ever since that day, I've always carried some light plastic sheet or something in the bottom of my pack.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:03 pm You dont need all those socks. You are going for 4 days. 1 hiking pair, 1 sleeping pair (both wool) is all I would bring (MAYBE 1 extra if you are paranoid about socks). You dont need 4 pairs of underwear for 4 days (bring 2 max). Are you hiking in the shorts or the sweat pants? Personally I would drop both the shorts and the sweat pants and wear zip off hiking pants (then you have shorts and pants all in one). Base layer for sleeping and around camp is perfect. 1 shirt (drop the spare). The rest looks good.
I always take 3 pairs of socks whether I'm on a 4 day or 12 day trip. Same with underwear. Why? 1 strictly for camp/sleeping. They never get muddy and stay dry. The others I alternate days so that they can hopefully dry out before the next switch.

I also disagree about the zip off pants. I never sleep in anything I've hiked in. Keeps your sleeping bag cleaner and dry. I'm taking a light thermal pant and gym shorts for camp/sleep. Zip pants will be for hiking.

At the end of the day you know what you're capable of carrying. I'll be on the island the same time as you are and one thing I'm not skimping on is clothing.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 am Careful with the hammock set up. IRNP put out a post the other day asking folks to not bring hammocks.
I thought the post just reiterated guidelines in the Greenstone saying that you could only hang within boundaries of established campsites and not in/on shelters. Maybe I missed the one to which you're referring?
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

I never sleep in anything I've hiked in. Keeps
I wasn’t suggesting to sleep in the zip off pants. I meant to sleep in the baselayers and wear the pants during the day. Why do you need shorts to? I’m lost there. I guess socks are a preference thing. I’d dont feel the need to carry that many but to each their own.

As for the hammock thing I’ll have to find it. It was on the IRNP Facebook page pretty sure.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

From the NPS for those who want to use a hammock for camping:

Leave No Trace: Travel and camp on durable surfaces

Hammock use has been steadily increasing on the island but they can significantly impact the landscape or be dangerous if used incorrectly. The only place they can be used is in the already impacted tent campsite, if you can find durable trees. Going 10 or 15 feet further into the woods is expanding the boundary of the campground and is not allowed. Hammocks cannot be used anywhere at a shelter site. Please don't rely on hammocks for all of your camping needs.

Be kind to the island and do your best to minimize physical impact. A great way to do this is by staying on the trail and have fun getting muddy in those puddles!

We hope these reminders help you pack as opening day gets closer.
The part in bold is what I was referring to. I guess as I reread it, it sounds like you CAN still use them but they seem to be hinting not too.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Everyone will have their own preferences for packing. OP can figure out what works for them. We can all give different advice and all be successful hiking in our own ways. Either way we can all agree hiking out there is magical! See y’all on the island.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:47 am
From the NPS for those who want to use a hammock for camping:

Leave No Trace: Travel and camp on durable surfaces

Hammock use has been steadily increasing on the island but they can significantly impact the landscape or be dangerous if used incorrectly. The only place they can be used is in the already impacted tent campsite, if you can find durable trees. Going 10 or 15 feet further into the woods is expanding the boundary of the campground and is not allowed. Hammocks cannot be used anywhere at a shelter site. Please don't rely on hammocks for all of your camping needs.

Be kind to the island and do your best to minimize physical impact. A great way to do this is by staying on the trail and have fun getting muddy in those puddles!

We hope these reminders help you pack as opening day gets closer.
The part in bold is what I was referring to. I guess as I reread it, it sounds like you CAN still use them but they seem to be hinting not too.
It can be tough to find suitable trees within the tent pad boundaries. Best bet is to get an early start and make it to camp early, so you have your pick of sites. A May trip with fewer people on the island will help with this too.