First Timer's Gear List

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

FF7Cid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

First Timer's Gear List

Post by FF7Cid »

Hi All

https://lighterpack.com/r/9titm5

I've been working on my gear the last couple months, here's what I've got so far. I'll be on the Island for 9 days starting the weekend before Memorial Day, and I'll be leaving from Washington Creek in the afternoon on the 9th day.

I was not expecting the gas to weigh so much, the guys at REI recommended I bring two 8oz gas containers... they weigh about 13.3 oz each. I'll only be boiling water for myself, does anyone think I'll need both of them or could possibly get a smaller size? I'll be boiling water for breakfast and dinner every day. I'm also planning on buying my own freeze dried meat/veggies to make my own "mountain house" meals.

• Any gear suggestions?
• Things I could do without?
• What about something lightweight to put my rod in for protection or is that not needed? I'd rather not carry the big plastic container it came in.
• The Windigo shop - could I rely on that for food for dinner and breakfast on my last night in Washington Creek? This would save on weight if I didn't need to pack more meals.

Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First Timer's Gear List

Post by Ingo »

I'm not going to say 1 canister of fuel is fine and be responsible for you running out :? , but last year end of May, 7 days, oatmeal and Mt House, I used about 1/2 an 8 oz canister with an MSR micro rocket. If you feel you need to bring more, take a 4 oz canister as the extra/backup.

Gear, well the chair is obvious... if you have to have it, lose the seat pad. I usually canoe and bring a similar 18oz chair, but swapped it for a seat pad for my last backpacking trip--didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. But it is nice, I know :) (I have carried it before).
I made a 5x7 tarp out of polycro that weighs 4 oz. Taped the edges and used nylon washers for tie outs. Worked great, big enough to cook/sit under in a rain and used as a windbreak in the shelters. Search the internet for ideas.
Polycro also works well for a ground cloth--2 oz for a 2 person tent. Just cut to size.
I don't bring a weather radio when backpacking and never missed it. It is what it is. Paddling I always bring one, but reception is always questionable.
10 oz for a pillow is quite a luxury for going light--look at a 2 oz inflatable, I like my Sea to Summit and the Exped I had until it eventually blew a baffle. But again, I understand it's like the chair!
I'd have another top layer that time of year. It could snow.
Consider Crocs or lighter sandals.
Did I miss a sleeping pad? Essential for warmth.
Duck Tape for repairs. Wrap it around a bottle or trekking poles, or get the small 4' roll. Or Tenacious Tape.

The Windigo store won't be open, so you can't rely on any food or supplies. Around Memorial Day they were unofficially pre-open and selling stuff, but didn't have a lot of stock in yet.

Have a great trip. Overall looks good to me.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I might be premature in bringing this up since you haven't mentioned weights and your food and toiletry items are still listed at 0 weight, or possibly the lighterpack website does not work properly for me, but several of the items I checked, for which you do have weights, listed seem quite light. Examples are the stove, the fishing rod and the paracord.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

It looks like you have all the bases covered! This isn't going to shave much, but ...

do you need both the knife and the multitool? and

could whatever information is stored on the survival cards be carried on your phone instead? Or are the survival cards doubling as recreation? (So far none of the gear lists I've seen posted have included the Eleventh Essential: a paperback mystery novel.)

FWIW, I've also had an 8 oz isobutane canister last well over a week boiling water am and pm on a microrocket.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Trim your stuff sack game...too many there.
Forget the chair or the sit pad (pick one)
No radio needed
Way too many clothing items. Trim that back. One hiking pair and one sleeping pair. + Outer layer for insulation and rain. No more. (way too many socks and underwear).
Your camp shoes look heavy. Crocs are way lighter than those sandals.
My feet would cry in those heavy boots.
Trim that towel up. Seems heavy.
Drop survival cards
Drop the multi tool. Not needed. (look at your gear...does any of it have a screw that needs a screw driver??) Your knife is plenty and pretty big at that...I like a smaller folding blade (Swiss army classic: blade, scissors, and tweezers at 0.8ounces).
You dont need a tackle box...just use a ziplock or a small bag.

I dont see a trowel for digging catholes. Some of your weights look like they are missing. You dont need that much fuel. One 8ounce can is enough if you are mindful.
FF7Cid
NewbieCake

Post by FF7Cid »

Ingo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:43 pm I'm not going to say 1 canister of fuel is fine and be responsible for you running out :? , but last year end of May, 7 days, oatmeal and Mt House, I used about 1/2 an 8 oz canister with an MSR micro rocket. If you feel you need to bring more, take a 4 oz canister as the extra/backup.

Gear, well the chair is obvious... if you have to have it, lose the seat pad. I usually canoe and bring a similar 18oz chair, but swapped it for a seat pad for my last backpacking trip--didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. But it is nice, I know :) (I have carried it before).
I made a 5x7 tarp out of polycro that weighs 4 oz. Taped the edges and used nylon washers for tie outs. Worked great, big enough to cook/sit under in a rain and used as a windbreak in the shelters. Search the internet for ideas.
Polycro also works well for a ground cloth--2 oz for a 2 person tent. Just cut to size.
I don't bring a weather radio when backpacking and never missed it. It is what it is. Paddling I always bring one, but reception is always questionable.
10 oz for a pillow is quite a luxury for going light--look at a 2 oz inflatable, I like my Sea to Summit and the Exped I had until it eventually blew a baffle. But again, I understand it's like the chair!
I'd have another top layer that time of year. It could snow.
Consider Crocs or lighter sandals.
Did I miss a sleeping pad? Essential for warmth.
Duck Tape for repairs. Wrap it around a bottle or trekking poles, or get the small 4' roll. Or Tenacious Tape.

The Windigo store won't be open, so you can't rely on any food or supplies. Around Memorial Day they were unofficially pre-open and selling stuff, but didn't have a lot of stock in yet.

Have a great trip. Overall looks good to me.
Thanks!

Yeah I thought two 8 oz canisters were a little much, glad too see most people agree with me, I will bring a little extra for back up. I appreciate your tips about the tarp, duct tape and what to cut out, I will definitely consider your advice. And whoops, I didn't add my pad. It's there now! I definitely need it.

Bummer that the shop won't be open. We would be at Washington creek around June 2nd - 3rd.. I'm surprised it wouldn't be stocked then!

Midwest Ed wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:41 pm I might be premature in bringing this up since you haven't mentioned weights and your food and toiletry items are still listed at 0 weight, or possibly the lighterpack website does not work properly for me, but several of the items I checked, for which you do have weights, listed seem quite light. Examples are the stove, the fishing rod and the paracord.
Yes, I haven't made my food yet. I was going to, but then I read that once you open the freeze dried meat it should be eaten within 7 days. I understand it's probably safe to go longer, but I'm waiting to make my food. I've updated my list to include what ideas I'm thinking for food. Recipes will be tested :D

As far as light items go, my paracord was definitely not correct. Ha. It came to 4 oz. My stove and rod are weighed correctly though.

torpified wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 am
It looks like you have all the bases covered! This isn't going to shave much, but ...

do you need both the knife and the multitool? and

could whatever information is stored on the survival cards be carried on your phone instead? Or are the survival cards doubling as recreation? (So far none of the gear lists I've seen posted have included the Eleventh Essential: a paperback mystery novel.)

FWIW, I've also had an 8 oz isobutane canister last well over a week boiling water am and pm on a microrocket.
Good question about the knife.. The multitool has a pair of pliers on them I was hoping to use on some pike 8).. but it also has a very small knife. I probably won't need a large knife on this trip though.

The cards are just basic playing cards but they "glow" at night with a red light on your head lamp.. I'm not sure why I used the word survival. Tactical is better. I will be with a group of 10 people so they will be very useful if we get bad weather. A novel is a good idea, we did that in the boundary waters a few years ago.
thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:16 am Trim your stuff sack game...too many there.
Forget the chair or the sit pad (pick one)
No radio needed
Way too many clothing items. Trim that back. One hiking pair and one sleeping pair. + Outer layer for insulation and rain. No more. (way too many socks and underwear).
Your camp shoes look heavy. Crocs are way lighter than those sandals.
My feet would cry in those heavy boots.
Trim that towel up. Seems heavy.
Drop survival cards
Drop the multi tool. Not needed. (look at your gear...does any of it have a screw that needs a screw driver??) Your knife is plenty and pretty big at that...I like a smaller folding blade (Swiss army classic: blade, scissors, and tweezers at 0.8ounces).
You dont need a tackle box...just use a ziplock or a small bag.

I dont see a trowel for digging catholes. Some of your weights look like they are missing. You dont need that much fuel. One 8ounce can is enough if you are mindful.
I do agree I need to make some decisions with the seat pad/chair and radio. The clothing items will only both be used if it's going to be cold. I can probably make do with only one t-shirt. The boots had an incorrect weight on Amazon. I weighed them myself and they came to 44 oz, much better eh? I need ankle support and my feet are size 14, so it's going to weigh more than usual. My food and a few other items have no weight because I don't have them yet. I'll probably make all my food the night before I go so the freeze-dried meat is as fresh as it can be.

Will I need a trowel if I'm camping at group campsites? I thought there was toilets so I won't need those.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

I think the trowel is helpful if you have to take a dump between campsites. Super light weight and worth it if you need it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Bummer that the shop won't be open. We would be at Washington creek around June 2nd - 3rd.. I'm surprised it wouldn't be stocked then!
Official opening is June 5. So likely they'll have something, but you're taking your chances if you count on real food. Last year (6/2-3) they had a summer's supply of Pringles, and some other food like frozen pizza and candy bars. Don't remember if they had any Mt House in yet. But they don't have a grill there anymore, so the best you can hope for is the pizza in a microwave, pre-packaged sandwiches, and junk food (which is OK :D ). You just can't count on what that early and hours are erratic--you probably won't starve :wink: . You may also get lucky and get a shower. They were trying to get the hot water going, but it didn't happen before I left ...
As far as light items go, my paracord was definitely not correct. Ha. It came to 4 oz. My stove and rod are weighed correctly though.
I use Kelty Triptease Lightline, 1 oz per 50 ft. Works great and holds knots well, although thin enough that you don't want it sliding through your hands with a load on it :( .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

You might have to poo between sites. Bring a trowel so you are following LNT. The “deuce of spades” is the lightest trowel on the market (as far as I know), works well and is fairly cheap.
FF7Cid
NewbieCake

Post by FF7Cid »

Appreciate the shovel suggestion, I'll be in a large group so I'll make sure one of us is carrying one.
Ingo wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:18 pm
I use Kelty Triptease Lightline, 1 oz per 50 ft. Works great and holds knots well, although thin enough that you don't want it sliding through your hands with a load on it :( .
Thanks for the tip about the cord, that will save a decent amount of weight on my pack if I decide to cut some other things out as well.