All I want for Christmas...

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

All I want for Christmas...

Post by Tom »

It's the Santa's Watching post!

Unfortunately, it's that slow forum time of year, and so what better way to hear from all of you than to ask for your opinions on what we all should be looking for under the Christmas tree.

So, without further ado; I'd love to hear what each of you would like. Let's put it into three categories:

"Stocking Stuffer" - Something under $15
"Good 'Ol Gift" - Let's say, $50-75?
"I bribed Santa" - No limit, but within realism that you might get one some day...

I'll start.
Stocking Stuffer - I wouldn't mind seeing one of those 'space pens' in the sock. - (http://www.rei.com/product/691132) - Primarily because I like to carry a journal (Moleskine, also a great stuffer) and I seem to always break pencil leads on the trail.

Good 'Ol Gift- Delorme now offers a subscription to their Map Library for $29.95/year. (http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... tion=10101) - In the past I've needed to pay by section/quadrant to get sat and aerial imagery onto my PN-20 GPS. This would be great!

I bribed Santa - Similar to above; Delorme just released their second handheld GPS, the PN-40. (http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... site=10020) - It just makes my original PN-20 seem so slow... Why not just get the new toy?!?

So - Now your turn. I'd love to get your ideas, and hey, we can all point the Santas in our lives to the forum, and say, "Shop away!"

Tom
thechickencow
NewbieCake

Re: All I want for Christmas...

Post by thechickencow »

No idea on stocking stuffer.

The mid level - video game.

The no limit - snowshoes (wife and I are getting them for each other this year)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Good idea to keep the forums active, Tom!

"Stocking Stuffer" - Can't get enough socks
"Good 'Ol Gift" - New micro fleece
"I bribed Santa" - Lots of snow this year! Or a new Blackberry Storm. I'm a gadget geek ;)
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I would like to upgrade my GPS with the topo feature. It would also be nice to get my ticket on the VII paid for in advance. Hint Hint.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Under $15- thats easy, a 2 oz red and white daredevil to match my 5 of Diamonds for next Spring!!

Good 'ol gift: a 10x12 silynlon tarp

The Big Daddy: Garmin Colorado 400I https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=11023

Tom this is an awlfully creative way to get ideas for my X-mas Gift, Thanks Buddy!!!! :lol: :lol:
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

No problem, Hens.

Actually, Fonix already took up a collection and had everyone from the forum contribute for your holiday gift.

Unfortunately, when we went to buy a stamp to mail it to you, we couldn't afford the envelope. SO, we returned the stamp, and bought an envelope. Regretfully, we now cannot afford the stamp. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for your gift when we meet someday on the Isle. :wink:
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Tom,
I would be happy to send a pre-addressed, pre-paid shipping box (I'll send an oversized box lest you decide there is more stuff you feel would look good under my X-mas tree). After all I am always happy to pitch in and do my part for, you know,the effort!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, plans for the Winisk would be better than a tarp:
http://www.greenval.com/winisk.html
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

So, time to update this thread with what gear you actually got.

I got a food dehydrator!!! and some great ice fishing gear!
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

I finally got the sleeping bag of my dreams.....a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. Can't wait to put it to use on Isle Royale this coming summer.

I also got a Snow Peak 700 Titanium Mug. Looks like a keeper!
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

trailgoat wrote:I finally got the sleeping bag of my dreams.....a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. Can't wait to put it to use on Isle Royale this coming summer.

!
tg,
I bought an Alpinlite a few years ago. Mine is rated to 30, I think the newer model is rated to 20.
I absolutlely love mine.
I had bought an Antelope MF whcih is good to 5, too warm for IR (unles I get the Winter trip of my dreams to IR!! :D )
The Alpenlite is perfect for 3 season.
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

John--

Good to hear you like your Alpinlite. I don't think I've heard one negative thing about WM from anyone who's owned one. You're right--the newer Alpinlite is rated to 20*. Most people say you can easily push it to 15*. So light and fluffy!

As for your winter trip to Isle Royale.....you're gonna have to bribe Rolf for that one! :wink:
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau