Source for dehydrated bulk foods

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Source for dehydrated bulk foods

Post by Don_P »

Does anyone know of a source for good dehydrated bulk food? We had been using adventurefoods.com but they are apparently not in business anymore. We prefer to stay away from the pre-packaged foods and make our own fare.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Source for dehydrated bulk foods

Post by philranger »

You can find an amazing amount of prepackaged foods at the local grocery store. Lipton makes noodle and rice dishes that you can add chicken, tuna or beef to. Sure beats buying freeze dried. Don't worry about the sodium or calories, you'll be burning these up on the trail. You don't have to make anything fancy either, you're only there a week. Treat yourself to a nice steak dinner on the way home.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Check your local food co-op (health food store...). Ours has bulk dehydrated refried beans, 3 different kinds of soup, falafel mix, etc.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Keweenaw wrote:Check your local food co-op (health food store...). Ours has bulk dehydrated refried beans, 3 different kinds of soup, falafel mix, etc.
Thanks... I think we can find most everything there and the grocery store. The one item we're struggling with is dried cheese. One of our favorite trail breakfasts is spicy cheese grits, and we like to increase the protein content with dried cheese (the cheese-flavored stuff doesn't cut it). We'll taste-test this with shelf-stable parmesan.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Don_P wrote:One of our favorite trail breakfasts is spicy cheese grits.
Speaking from experience, bring your grits with you. They're hard to find up there! Spent a whole week once w/o my grits 'cause I decided to provision in Duluth. :(
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

FWIW, my vegetarian daughter announced last year that she wanted to go to IR with me. That was the good news. The bad news is that she objected to almost all the ingredients that were in my 20+ packages of freeze dried food. So, I bought a dehydrator and spent the better part of January through April making recipes, dehydrating them, and trying them out at home.

Bottom line was that I never used any of the Mountain House, Alpine Aire, or Backpacker Pantry stuff (it is still in my basement). And, we ate pretty good. When we ran into JohnH and Trish, we combined our dinners for some wonderful potlucks.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

We did eat well!!!
:)
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

johnhens wrote:We did eat well!!!
:)
And I learned a valuable lesson. When JohnH is eating out of his trough, don't touch it. I darn near lost a finger!!!!