"What are you spending your REI dividend on?" 2009 edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: "What are you spending your REI dividend on?" 2009 edition

Post by trailgoat »

philranger--

If Kari is a cold sleeper, you may want to consider a different 20* bag. I had a Cat's Meow years ago and I froze in the thing when the temps dipped below 35*. Just my two cents.....
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

We have generally done our backpacking in August. I mostly wanted to get her a bag that compresses down, yet still provides the comfort of a regular bag. I have used the Cat's Meow on my last 3 backpacking trips and enjoy having a bag that compresses and stores in my backpack. It's also roomier than a mummy bag.

RE: the camping below 20*. I've done that kind of camping and frankly I would rather be in a cabin.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm calling this year's purchase my "Backpack weight training device."
You know... How that first mile or so on the trail with the pack makes you think... WHY am I doing this again??

I figure my seven month year old boy will serve as good "baby ballast" for getting the back in gear..

http://www.rei.com/product/705789

Tom
jon
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by jon »

I spent mine on a silk mummy bag liner... supposed to add about 9 degrees or so to my sleeping bag rating. i bought a light-weight down bag on near 50% markdown from REI in November, weighs about 1.5 lbs, a few extra degrees will feel good on cooler nights.

jon
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

FYI, an REI ninja told me that REI will be having a big online sale starting tonight at 11PM CST. Supposedly lots of good deals, and it will last for either two days or two weeks, I can't recall. Also supposedly is a super blowout monster deal on a GPS...