Water filter recommendation?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

JC_Geo
NewbieCake

Water filter recommendation?

Post by JC_Geo »

I have read many past posts and must say, thanks for all the ideas on a water filter. I am new to these forums and have really enjoyed reading all the posts. I have hiked IR before, but it was back in 1990 and 1985. Now my question.

We are headed to IR in June for a 5 day trip and I need to get a water filter. I have been reading reviews, and it seems that all filters have pluses and minuses. I am sure everyone will have their own preference, but I thought I would throw the question out there. We will be arriving at Rock Harbor, but have not made plans beyond that yet. We have thrown out ideas of a loop hike and the ridge hike.

What water filter do you recommend and why?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Water filter recommendation?

Post by johnhens »

Welcome to the forums!!
First post and you are stirring up a hornets nest!! :)
I am a diehard MSR Miniworks fan. In a former life I guided trips and we (niners and I)tried both the PUR filters and MSR.
After a few trips, we decided the MSR Miniworks worked for us. Easy to field maintain and clean and the filter element can be cleaned in the field easily. I will say that is slower than the PUR filters, and I am OK with that.

I should also mention on kayaking trips, I use a Katadyn Base Camp. It is a gravity drip filter that works well-and no pumping.

Others will be sure to add their thoughts, opinions and dare I say, a few arguments may ensue!!!

I would recommend going to your local Outfitter and trying the filters before you buy.
MIKE A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by MIKE A »

I use the First Need XL
A QTIP KEEPS THE PREFILTER CLEAN.
Works great.

The First Need XL water purifier delivers convenient
chemical-free water purification for outdoor adventures and international travel.
Unique Structured Matrix three-stage purification technology provides natural and ecological removal of contaminants from your drinking water
Purifier is certified to EPA Guide Standard for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses
Also removes dirt, unpleasant tastes and chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides
Easy-grip, ergonomic handle provides comfortable pumping; double-action pump is field serviceable
Use the included gravity feed kit for hands-free purification without pumping
Fast flow rate of 1.89 liters per min. lets you enjoy clean, great-tasting water in no time at all
XL purifier's large capacity lets you purify up to 150 gal. before needing to replace the canister
Direct Connect attaches unit snugly to many wide-mouth and narrow-mouth water bottles and hydration systems, sold separately
Attach the drink tube on your Camelbak® hydration reservoir directly to canister so you can refill without removing the reservoir from your bag
Additional adapters (sold separately) allow attachment to directly to select Platypus, Sigg and Nalgene water bottles and reservoirs, sold separately
Included prefilter reduces the need for backflushing; adjustable float
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I also use the MSR Waterworks. It's quick to use and easy to clean. You just screw on the Nalgeen and pump away. I have never gotten sick either (knock on wood).
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
JC_Geo
NewbieCake

Post by JC_Geo »

Thanks for the replies. I went to look at some filters at REI today and they currently did not have the MSR in stock or on display. I did check out the Katadyn Hiker Pro and liked how that one pumped. I have looked on-line at the MSR but want to see one in person first. Do you pump the MSR while holding it like a pistol (one handed)?

I will be going back to REI to check the MSR filter out. I have a $50 REI gift card on its way to me, so I can put that towards the filter.

Jeff
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

The Miniworks requires 2 hands. One hand to hold the barrel of the filter, the other to work the lever like pump arm.
Think of the water pumps at campgrounds.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I've been using the PUR-Hiker for years. It has served flawlessly. The only routine maintenance I do is replace the cartridge every couple of years and lube the 0-rings. I've never had it clog up and if I'm at a place where the water is silty (like Island Mine!) I wrap the intake line with a coffee filter.
dixgomez
NewbieCake

Post by dixgomez »

I think you may try some water filter products like portable water filters... some weightless water filter for hiking or something...

Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by sgerbs »

Like many, I also have the MSR MiniWorks and have really enjoyed it. The one downside is how much it weighs. It really isn't that heavy, but when you're carrying a big pack, it is good to cut weight where you can. MSR makes another filter called the Hyperflow that is lightweight and pumps quickly as well. I would look into that one as I have heard good things about it.

Another filter I have experience with is the Katadyn Hiker. While canoeing on the Buffalo National River with a friend, we used his Katadyn Hiker and it worked really well.

Have fun buying your filter as I always enjoy buying new gear for backpacking.
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I would advise against the Hyperflow. We sent ours back. The advertisements don't mention a few things that DO turn up in the enclosed instructions:

1) It has to be backflushed with a liter of clean water pretty often and more importantly, 2) the hollow fibers it uses for filtering can be broken if you drop it from, I believe, 3 feet or so onto a hard surface. The real deal-breaker is that you may not be able to tell that they broke and that it is no longer filtering out contaminants. A filter that might not be filtering is no filter for me!

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I also have a Pur Hiker (Now Katadyn.)
I recall buying it at the time and picking something that I seemed to be able to find the filters at more than one store...
It's small, filters well, and I've never had the thing clog once - And I've put it in some pretty soupy stuff.
It's also fairly field repairable, which is nice peace of mind.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Tom, I have the same thing to say about the Pur Hiker. My buddy got one before our first trip and we have used it on every hiking trip since then. It is small and packs away nicely and it works like a champ. We also have never had a problem with it clogging and we too have put it in some pretty nasty water and muck. The carbon pre-filter seems do do a good job of keeping the silt out before reaching the main, internal filter.
Last edited by Backpacker534 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_Geo
NewbieCake

Post by JC_Geo »

I have looked at some more water filters/purifiers and am trying to figure out what the main differences are between the MSR Sweetwater and MSR MiniWorks.

Can someone help me out?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

JC_Geo wrote:I have looked at some more water filters/purifiers and am trying to figure out what the main differences are between the MSR Sweetwater and MSR MiniWorks.

Can someone help me out?
I have a Sweetwater and have been very happy with it, although it only sees use every couple years. It was it's own company before MSR bought them a few years ago--mine is pre-MSR.
The Sweetwater is lighter (11 oz vs 16 oz) and pumps faster (1.25 lpm vs 1 lpm). The MiniWorks has a ceramic filter which they rate at 10 times the life of the Sweetwater filter (2000 gals vs 200 gals). Both can be cleaned in the field. I've found it fairly effective on the Sweetwater, but you don't necessarily get "full recovery" that they claim on the MiniWorks (can't speak to the reality). The MiniWorks also has a carbon filter which improves taste--if it's not good to start--but it doesn't kill any more of the nasty little things.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JC_Geo
NewbieCake

Post by JC_Geo »

Thanks all for their inputs.

I just ordered the MSR SweetWater Purifier System.