Primus Stoves

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Primus Stoves

Post by moss13 »

I just upgraded my older primus stove to this one. I also got it at half off so that was the clincher. Anyone have this stove or ever used it? I look forward to using it on Isle Royale this Summer.

http://www.rei.com/product/767944
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Primus Stoves

Post by Nick »

I've been looking at the Primus Himalaya. Similar to yours, but is multi-fuel, including propane. I'll be interested in how yours works out. Maybe I can justify buying one. For now, it's the Trangia alcohol cooker and a cheap Coleman burner with the big LP canister.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

I almost bought one of those... Sierra Trading Post had them for $50 a couple months ago and the stove was calling to me. I resisted and will continue using my alcohol stove.
trailgoat
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat »

I've never used the EtaPower stove. Looks pretty sweet. Expensive and heavy, but sweet. At two pounds, I'm guessing your doing more than just boiling water. A trail gourmet, are you? :)
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

trailgoat wrote:I've never used the EtaPower stove. Looks pretty sweet. Expensive and heavy, but sweet. At two pounds, I'm guessing your doing more than just boiling water. A trail gourmet, are you? :)
Trailgoat,
Well a trail gourmet I am not but am trying to get better. John H. helped me pick out a food dehydator last year so I can now make my own beef jerky for trips. I also bought a vacuum sealer to help out. Yes, this stove is heavier and will take up more room in my pack but I am willing to work with that if it is more effeciant. Can't wait to get out and try it out.
kevatron
NewbieCake

Post by kevatron »

I have a jeboil unit which uses 3.5 oz butane canisters. does the ranger have these on the island? we are flying in and fuel is not allowed. The windigo store will not be open when we get there.

thanks
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

kevatron wrote:I have a jeboil unit which uses 3.5 oz butane canisters. does the ranger have these on the island? we are flying in and fuel is not allowed. The windigo store will not be open when we get there.

thanks
I would check with the Park Service. You may be able to arrange mailing them to yourself via the Voyageur. Call the Grand Portage Ferry service and check with them.
kevatron
NewbieCake

Post by kevatron »

Thanks,

Thats a good idea. I will contact the ferry today.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

That's a nice stove. I used to use the Brunton Optimus (now Primus) and my biggest complaint was the lack of wind protection, but this has it, so that's pretty rad.
kevatron wrote:I have a jeboil unit which uses 3.5 oz butane canisters. does the ranger have these on the island? we are flying in and fuel is not allowed. The windigo store will not be open when we get there.

thanks
Kevatron: the store in Rock & Windigo has carried the canisters for our JetBoils before. As long as the store is open, you should be OK.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I just ordered one of the Primus ETA 2 ltr pots from Sierra Trading Post. I want to see what it does for boiling times. I was quite impressed with the YouTube demo video of the Primus Omnifuel stove. That thing burns anything but charcoal. The advantage of the Primus system over either the MSR Reactor or JetBoil systems seems to be in flexibility. With the Primus system if you want to use a Bakepacker oven or a different set of pots, that's easy to do. The others seem to be designed for just one purpose; to bring water to a boil as quickly as possible.

I'd like to see the numbers on these pots with the heat exchangers welded to the bottom. There's a bit of weight there and I'm not sure how many days of cooking you need to have before the fuel use pays back the pot weight. For a solo hiker I'm not sure it would be better than something like a small Trangia. I suppose the colder and higher in altitude you are the better these things compare.