Coffee making, best methods

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

cjhiker
NewbieCake

Re: Coffee making, best methods

Post by cjhiker »

This may sound really weird, but my husband and I use dark chocolate covered espresso beans in a pinch when we need a "pick me up" in the morning before getting started. I know it's not the usual coffee fix, but it does pack a punch!! Trader Joes has some great ones at a good price. Gotta eat a handful, though!!!
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I'll second those expresso beans! Gotta say, I really love the mornings on IR and try to take advantage of the serenity and a nice cup of coffee! Unless we have a 20+ mile paddling day scheduled, then its pack and go....
childe18
NewbieCake

Post by childe18 »

I leave for ISRO on Thursday. My setup is as follows - a bit heavy I know. However, to call me a coffee snob would be an understatement.

Hario hand grinder
Kalita Wave + filters
Portioned out 18g baggies of coffee (This trip is a farmer direct Jenaro Burbank from Columbia.

Morning ritual will be grind the 18 grams which makes one decent sized mug, boil water, let cool to ~207 and allow to brew. Basically a pour over. Although the Kalita Wave has a different bottom so the result is slightly better (IMO) cup over a other methods.

Total weight of everything including coffee - 19 ounces. Yeah - way more than 10 VIA packets.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I'm leaving the press at home next week and taking Via packets for the first time. After reading Childe18's post, I hope I don't regret it.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

The next best thing after the real bean system is the VIA. I prefer the fresh brew, but if weight
and space is a factor, ViA is the a sound choice. I will be leaving Thursday for a 17 night Boundary
Waters canoe trip and VIA is a huge space saving tool (17 days worth of food burns a lot of pack volume).
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Ahh heck.....just do a pinch of coffee grounds in the bottom lip like a chew and get down the trail.. :) ;) .
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Bumping this thread to say that I've finally found my solution for coffee in the back-country...using the GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip. My review is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2765