Coffee making, best methods

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

startinla8
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Coffee making, best methods

Post by startinla8 »

Well as read all the posts i see instant is the way, but just cant bring myself to do it. We will pack a extra litre of fuel and my coffee percolator because i have to have my Joe in the morning and it has to be thick. :shock:
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

startinla8 wrote:Well as read all the posts i see instant is the way, but just cant bring myself to do it. We will pack a extra litre of fuel and my coffee percolator because i have to have my Joe in the morning and it has to be thick. :shock:

2 packs of that starbucks instant might be enough to bring someone back from the dead
chico
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by chico »

Hi guys,

Sorry to be late to respond on this thread. For our trip in June 2008, we used an Aeropress. It weighs under 9 ounces with the stirring paddle (which you could conceivably leave behind, use a spoon instead; but you definitely don't need the scoop, you can learn how much coffee to put into it by sight).

It makes pretty good espresso, which can be diluted with more hot water to produce the equivalent of brewed coffee.

It does take a fair amount of coffee, and since you want to pack out your grounds to LNT (so you don't change the soil ph!), that's the biggest downside, since once used they're waterlogged so heavier than when you brought them in. Still, not much of a price to pay for really good coffee. You don't need much additional fuel, just need to make a little extra hot water.

You can buy them online, but we were amused on our drive out to find one for sale at Java Moose in Grand Marais.

Steve & TC
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

PatrickBDunlap wrote:
Ziggy wrote:+1 on the JetBoil Java Press. This works fantastic. If you have a JetBoil and like coffee, it's a must have. I'll also be keeping my man card until I start steaming powdered milk to add into it.
I too use the JetBoil Java press. Been using it at home too since I broke the glass of my home French press. One of the things that I do not like about it though is the mess that I have to clean up afterwards. And it also taints my one pot if we are doing one pot camping with boiled water and instant food. At home it is not a big deal but on the trail cleaning it uses a lot of water.

Might do the Starbucks Via instant coffee next trip.
Well I did the Starbucks Via on our IR trip and it was OK but it did not do me as well as French pressing. I think I am going to get myself a second JetBoil cup just for my coffee drinking so I am not coffeeing up the water for my wife's dinners.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

PatrickBDunlap wrote: Well I did the Starbucks Via on our IR trip and it was OK but it did not do me as well as French pressing. I think I am going to get myself a second JetBoil cup just for my coffee drinking so I am not coffeeing up the water for my wife's dinners.
Good to know. I've meant to try the Starbucks Via but couldn't bring myself to do it. I don't mind hauling around the french press with the JetBoil either...it really doesn't weight that much.

And don't forget your steamed milk ;)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

chico wrote:Sorry to be late to respond on this thread. For our trip in June 2008, we used an Aeropress. It weighs under 9 ounces with the stirring paddle (which you could conceivably leave behind, use a spoon instead; but you definitely don't need the scoop, you can learn how much coffee to put into it by sight).
really good coffee. You don't need much additional fuel, just need to make a little extra hot water.
Have you ever seen the little gizmo for making Vietnamese coffee? It weighs almost nothing and probably costs a whole less than the Aeropress. I'm personally, not such a coffee addict that instant coffee or coffee bags is not good enough but I understand how some folks just gotta have their fix.

P.S. A Vietnamese Coffee Filter costs about $3 on Amazon.com
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

My wife bought me the GSI Outdoors® Java Press 30 oz french press. I already have a GSI cup that fits snug inside so looks like I have my coffee fixation taken care of :shock:
budducci
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by budducci »

I second Chico's Aeropress. Those things are great. Of course, if you are going for weight savings, you can't beat freeze dried.
Mr Blister
NewbieCake

Post by Mr Blister »

I love the Starbucks VIA. Yea it's a bit spendy. But it's lightweight and I don't have extra bulk or weight to have a decent cup of coffee. Is it just like a good cup of Caribou or any other coffee house? no, but you're on the trail and it is good. For instant it's damn near a miracle that it's as good as it is.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Literally I just walked in the door from a 7-day trip on IR. Field-tested the Starbucks VIA on the trail and they get a resounding THUMBS UP due to their good taste, ease-of-use, and portability. Also, not a lot of litter when finished with it. It will be replacing the Folger's tea bag-style coffee making method for my future backpacking trips.
chico
NewbieCake

Post by chico »

fonixmunkee wrote:Literally I just walked in the door from a 7-day trip on IR. Field-tested the Starbucks VIA on the trail and they get a resounding THUMBS UP due to their good taste, ease-of-use, and portability. Also, not a lot of litter when finished with it. It will be replacing the Folger's tea bag-style coffee making method for my future backpacking trips.
We haven't been back to isro :cry: but I just thought I'd pipe in that we've replaced the aeropress with Via on all our excursions. It really is good ("enough"), and soooooo much less weight.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Just another suggestion, try a tea ball. If u like french press then you will probably like this.cost 2 or 3 bucks weighs an ounce and fits in yer cup for storage because it is about 2inches in diameter.easy to use fill your cup witj hot water and let it soak. Grounds arent a problem, i use them in the stick stove. I love a good cup of coffee after last year i had it with the instant coffee wanna be stuff.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

I've been making single-cups of coffee with one of these things for the past few weeks:

http://www.amazon.com/Cilio-Porcelain-C ... B001B194FY

My Keurig has been sitting idle the same amount of time because the coffee from this this is amazing. Anyone know if they make a smaller, travel-sized version of that contraption?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote:I've been making single-cups of coffee with one of these things for the past few weeks:

http://www.amazon.com/Cilio-Porcelain-C ... B001B194FY

My Keurig has been sitting idle the same amount of time because the coffee from this this is amazing. Anyone know if they make a smaller, travel-sized version of that contraption?
I used a #2 plastic version for camping before I switched to Via for the the convenience. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Filter-Me ... B001S353EQ
GSI makes a collapsible silicone version (a little heavy): http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/col ... sso_makers
And an "ultralight" single cup: http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/ult ... sso_makers
Not sure how much difference the porcelain makes to the taste, but the method is the same.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Ingo: thank you so much! That GSI single-cup thing is EXACTLY what I need!