Windigo Store

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Windigo Store

Post by sgerbs »

Do they sell food at Windigo? If so, is it worth buying at the end of a trip? Or would I be better served leaving something there to get at the end of my trip? How much does that cost?

How much does it cost for a shower?

Anything else I should know about staying there?
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Windigo

Post by Kevinl »

I blew close to a hundred dollars there on junk food last year, for me and two teenage boys. They take plastic. It was worth it too. They sell sandwiches (and they make them big), lots of junkfood, some ice cream and sodas, even a few dehydrated meals. Everything there is more expensive than it would be anywhere else though. I don't about storage.

I've never showered there so I don't know how much it costs. An alternative is to walk down to the landing for the seaplane and jump in. It is cheaper. I think the cost for the shower is somewhere around six bucks, but I could be off.

Washington Creek shelters are a great place for moose-watching in the creek. Often cows will bring their young around there because they feel it's more protected from wolves because of all the people. see: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2660 ... 1912BdAUrZ
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Having a sandwich from the Windigo Deli is well worth the price. Hopefully you have a nice sunny day to enjoy it on the patio. The store has an "island surcharge" because everything has to be brought in. I have heard of people storing stuff at the Ranger Station and I saw a duffle bag once tied in a shelter. The note said we could use the shelter, because they would be on the trail for another 3 days. We never even touched the duffle. Somehow, I think a lot of other campers would respect this too and not bother rummaging through this bag. It's just the sort of people who come to IR.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

philranger wrote:... I saw a duffle bag once tied in a shelter. The note said we could use the shelter, because they would be on the trail for another 3 days. We never even touched the duffle. Somehow, I think a lot of other campers would respect this too and not bother rummaging through this bag. It's just the sort of people who come to IR.
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

I'm sorry to report this, but two guys I hike with left a bag of supplies in a shelter at Moskey a few years ago while they did an overnight jaunt to Chippewa. When they returned, the bag had been ransacked. Camera lens and pants taken, food eaten, and can of soup not only eaten, but then tossed back in the bag where it made a mess of the other stuff left in the bag.

I am sad that this sort of things happens on the island, which has always been a "sacred place" among most of us that visit. I have to recommend not leaving anything that you care about at a shelter. I've never done it, but I understand that the concessionary will hold bags for a modest fee (something like $2 or $3 a day).

After having bummed everyone out now, I'll add that the Wendigo sandwiches are excellent.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

The current price for a shower is $6 for 5 minutes. Most people I have talked to need at least part of the second 5 minutes, so it ends up being $12. They also charge you for soap and shampoo if you don't have your own, so it can end up being quite expensive. But, sometimes it's worth it. I guess it just depends on how you feel when you get off the trail. A friend once told me that his shower, a burger, and a beer were the best $35 he ever spent. It just depends on your state of mind at the end of the trail.
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

glad to hear they make sandwiches at Windigo. was planning on getting something after we come from huggin our last day and wait on the ferry. the burger we had last year at RH was wonderful.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Funny how good those things taste after a week on the trail.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
sgerbs
LNT Expert

Post by sgerbs »

Thanks for your responses. My wife and I leave in less than a week and I'm planning out our food itinerary and I was hoping that we could have some food at Windigo instead of making dinner the evening we get in.

I was also thinking of storing some food there, so we don't have to take it all with us, but it really would not be much so I probably won't do that.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

...Oh... I can vividly recall the getting into Windigo off the Minong last year. Cleaned up a little, climbed up the hill, and sat on the deck with a GREAT ham sandwich and soda... It was SOOOOO good. Funny how that is.
loreeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by loreeh »

I so look forward to a beer and burger at Rock Harbor at the end of my trip. The shower is short for $6. but I remember also getting a small bar of soap included. I just use my camp suds for shampoo, it's good enough til I get home. If you want a clean towel they charge small fee for that. Happy Hiking.
jkahler
NewbieCake

Post by jkahler »

I just blew $16 on cookies, potato chips, strawberry milk, ritz crackers, etc this past wed after coming in from the Minong. Oreos and Strw milk...oh man did that taste aweome! ..and a small block of cheese!
sgerbs
LNT Expert

Post by sgerbs »

Here is the update on what you can and can't get at Windigo:

Shower: $6 for 5 minutes (token purchased at store)
Towel: $1.93 with soap
Laundry: They have one washer and one dryer that are quarter operated
Leaving gear: $3.18 a day to store stuff - can't be fuel or food (although if you asked the people running the store they might let you, they are really nice)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Windigo Store

Post by fonixmunkee »

sgerbs: I think you've started a topic with some very good info in it, so I've moved it to the "Gear and Supplies" subforum and stickied it (so it stays at the top of the subforum). Hopefully other people will be able to benefit from the info that's gleaned in this topic.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread!
JC_Geo
NewbieCake

Post by JC_Geo »

Here is the update on what you can and can't get at Windigo:

Shower: $6 for 5 minutes (token purchased at store)
Towel: $1.93 with soap
Laundry: They have one washer and one dryer that are quarter operated
Leaving gear: $3.18 a day to store stuff - can't be fuel or food (although if you asked the people running the store they might let you, they are really nice)
Are these services priced similar at Rock Harbor?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

The prices at RH should be similar with a better selection in the store.