Suggestions for Carry

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Suggestions for Carry

Post by troop402miamisburg »

I have a question that maybe someone can help me out with. Only have one week left before we head up to Isle Royale and there are a couple of items I would like to take but accessibility is a problem.

It seems like I am one of the few people left on the face of the planet still using an external frame back. Which for me I would never change. The problem comes in when I want handy access to things besides my water bottle. I would love to have a camera handy, disposable, I know not the greatest and a pair of binoculars. There is really no place to stick them where they are accessible. I was seriously thinking off picking up a fishing vest but I am sure that would look a little goofy.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to have these things accessible?

Thanks
rxgac
NewbieCake

Re: Suggestions for Carry

Post by rxgac »

a friend hikes with a fanny pack swung around to the front. don't know if that would work or not. there are various holders that you may be able to attach to the shoulder straps and hip belt with alice clips. i've done that before. for the water, you might be able to do something with a hydration bag/drinking tube.
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

What are Alice Clips?

Never heard of them. :?:
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

sorry, military surplus. sort of like a carabiner, but not. used to hang various things off an alice pack. don't remember what alice stands for, but i think its an acronym. usually pretty cheap from an army surplus store.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I would say to heck with looking goofy, fishing vest might be a good idea!
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

Looked at the alice clips have no idea how in the world I would even get them to attach to the binoculars or camera.

Looked for shoulder straps on but couldn't find anything. The only thing I could find was milirtary surplus leg holster like thing. Don't want to go to IR looking like a poor man's GI Joe. Guess I will see if I can find a cheap fishing vest. :cry:
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I like the fishing vest idea! The heck with looking goofy (you won't be the goofiest, guaranteed :) ) There are no fashion police on I.R.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

sorry i wasn't precise enough. i've used the alice clips to attach a case for a small binoc or camera case to the shoulder straps of the pack. usually try to carry the item somewhat protected from dirt and moisture. didn't mean you could attach the item directly. there are also small surplus pouches. think they are for a small first aid kit. used it for things like compass and folded map. again, sorry for the miscommunication. vest is a good idea as long as the pack's shoulder straps and the chest strap don't interfere with access to the pockets.
spmoore
NewbieCake

Post by spmoore »

I had an external frame pack on my first trip also. I used a fanny pack to keep all the stuff I wanted handy.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I carry my camera in my front pants pocket. You could also attach a camera carrier to one of your backpack straps. Just remember it's there before setting your pack down.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

Thanks for the suggestions. I went and tried the vest out, couldn't work it out with the straps, so I went with what my wife calls a murse. :evil: Basically a fly fishing chest holder, goes around your neck and has a chest strap. Now instead of looking like a poor man GI Joe or goofy, now I just look silly. :lol:

Thanks again!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

troop402miamisburg wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I went and tried the vest out, couldn't work it out with the straps, so I went with what my wife calls a murse. :evil: Basically a fly fishing chest holder, goes around your neck and has a chest strap. Now instead of looking like a poor man GI Joe or goofy, now I just look silly. :lol:
I'm anxiously awaiting the silly pic :) Let us know how it works out.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

Here you go Ingo, not a silly pic though sorry. The rangers thought it was a camera case, a wierd looking one little did they know that it was a fly fishing tacklebox being used as a camera/map/energy/money/binocular case

Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Looks like it worked great!
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

I'll never give up my external pack either... I like the organization it give me...and I'm a creature of habit!
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -