Compass for trail hiking

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

jeastbur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Compass for trail hiking

Post by jeastbur »

Based on the recommendations on the forums, I picked up the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map on amazon.com a few weeks ago and I am very happy with the map. Good scale and it has a nice water-resistant coating on it.

If we are only doing trail hiking, is there a need for a compass? I just need to decide if I'm going to spend the time to dig through boxes to find my compass after our last move.

And for anyone that is interested, here is the NOAA calculator for magnetic declination.
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/s ... eclination

The declination at Rock Harbor for July 2009 is 4° 10' W, changing by 0° 4' W/year.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Compass for trail hiking

Post by ScoutDad »

The "Scout" in me says a compass is always a must; however the only time I used mine was with my son in 2001 when he got turned around on the Tobin Harbor trail.

After a rest stop on the way from Rock Harbor to Lane Cove , he insisted we were correct in walking east on the trail. Orienting the map and using the compass proved him gently corrected.

The trails are well marked at the junctions, and depending on your route you're in view of Lake Superior, or on the E/W Greenstone, etc. much of the time
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm like Scoutdad; I always carry one and recently have been using up some of my 'elective' weight with a GPS. That's only for the 'fun' factor, though. While I've never had a reason to NEED to pull a compass or GPS out (other than to check position on a map, perhaps), I'm just glad to know it's there.

That being said; unless you're planning the Minong where the risk of getting off trail is easier, I do think that one could 'forget' the compass if need be. Trails tend to be well tread, and marked at intersections, often with arrows.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

You can also think of a compass as something along the line of moleskin or a laxitive. You may not need it but it's a lot better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. We aren't talking about packing a Brunton (If you're not familiar with them http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=146) My compass weighs 1 oz. No more than my whistle and thermometer, and I'm sure you could find ones lighter than that.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Sometimes, I will do off trail hiking to get to a lake to fish. I use the same compass I have had for years, in fact it always goes to the Island and any other outddors trip for that matter. Plus it is good to brush up on map and compass skills.
I carry a Silva Ranger 15, I know there are lighter ones, but I like the features!!