Fuel at Rock Harbor

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

islehiker1234
NewbieCake

Fuel at Rock Harbor

Post by islehiker1234 »

Does anyone know if the rock harbor store carries isobutane canister fuel? This is the fuel that usually comes in 8 oz metal canisters - big brands are MSR or Gigapro.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Fuel at Rock Harbor

Post by DonNewcomb »

When I spoke with them the other day, I was told that they carried Priums brand canisters. I don't own an isobutane stove*, so I'm not sure of compatibility issues. I did suggest that they should publish on the website exactly what types of supplies, particularly fuel, that they stock in the stores, so that we can better plan our trips. The fellow I spoke with strongly suggested using a white gas ("Coleman fuel") stove as this is what is most commonly used by visitors and they sell it by the ounce (as much or as little as you need) at both ends of the island.

*I do have a Gaz Globetrotter and probably own the last three canisters for it still in existance.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

DonNewcomb wrote:
*I do have a Gaz Globetrotter and probably own the last three canisters for it still in existance.
If that is the puncture type cannister, I beleive REI carries them and I have seen them at Cabelas.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

johnhens wrote:If that is the puncture type cannister, I beleive REI carries them and I have seen them at Cabelas.
It's a special 1/2 height Gaz puncture type cannister used only with this particular stove. I have not seen any of them for years. At least not in stores.
jeastbur
NewbieCake

Post by jeastbur »

Does anyone know how much an 8oz isobutane canister costs at the Rock Harbor store?
We are flying into Houghton, MI, and since we can't bring fuel on the plane, our options are to either ship it to our hotel in Copper Harbor or buy it at Rock Harbor.

I assume Rock Harbor charges a premium for fuel, but I wasn't sure if it was still cheaper to ship my own canisters (we'll have a group of 5, so we'll need a few canisters for our trip).
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Last year I needed to buy the large (like 1 liter or so) propane cylinders for a camp stove and they cost exactly the same at RH as they did in town - don't know why.

How are you getting from the airport to Copper Harbor? If by rental car and if it's during the day you could swing back to Houghton and buy canisters there. It's about 8-9 miles from the airport.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
jeastbur
NewbieCake

Post by jeastbur »

Bob,
We fly in to CMX in the early evening and we are taking a taxi straight to Copper Harbor, so it probably won't work out to go back down to Houghton and pick up fuel there, but thanks for the suggestion.

Josh
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

jeastbur wrote:Does anyone know how much an 8oz isobutane canister costs at the Rock Harbor store?
We are flying into Houghton, MI, and since we can't bring fuel on the plane, our options are to either ship it to our hotel in Copper Harbor or buy it at Rock Harbor.

I assume Rock Harbor charges a premium for fuel, but I wasn't sure if it was still cheaper to ship my own canisters (we'll have a group of 5, so we'll need a few canisters for our trip).

I bought a 8 oz bottle and I think it was $7.99