Looking for used gear

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MacArthur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Looking for used gear

Post by MacArthur »

Planning 1-2 hikes next year and that's probably it. One hike to the Island, sort of a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I don't want to invest in a lot of new gear so I'm looking for any still usefull but not new gear that anybody wants to unload after they get all that new stuff for XMAS. Looking for 1-2 person tent, sleeping bag, pad, gaiters, etc. Got the boots and pack but that's it so far. Thanks in advance for any help.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Re: Looking for used gear

Post by niners »

I've got a 1 person Slumberjack tent/bivy I'd be willing to part with. It's a single pole tent, not much room for gear, but it will keep you dry. Also have a closed cell foam pad if you are interested. Both are in good shape. PM me if you are interested.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Beyond the boots, much of the gear you need can be rented, especially the 'big' stuff like a tent, etc. Check out your local REI or outfitter for details. It might be a better, more cost effective solution if you're not planning on going too often..
Engruls
NewbieCake

Post by Engruls »

I know this is an old thread but..... I have a MSR Zoid 1.5 with footprint that has been used 3 times... and babied : P and a Katadyn Hiker that is brand new/never used that I would be willing to sell.
MacArthur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by MacArthur »

Thanks to those that responded. I did find a local contact who is willing to lend me everything I might need.
I did have plans to rent a tent from REI but may not even have to pursue that anymore. Look for my trip
report in September (I hope) :wink:
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Glad to hear everything worked out. Enjoy your trip.

On a related note Tom, has there ever been a "classifieds" forum here, or discussion of hosting one? I haven't been around long enough to know.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Tampico wrote:Glad to hear everything worked out. Enjoy your trip.

On a related note Tom, has there ever been a "classifieds" forum here, or discussion of hosting one? I haven't been around long enough to know.
To the best of my knowledge, there has not been discussion of one. Given that the gear needed for Isle Royale is pretty much the same stuff needed for most backpacking and water camping trips, a person would probably get better response using sites like Craigslist or generic forums...
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Tom wrote:To the best of my knowledge, there has not been discussion of one. Given that the gear needed for Isle Royale is pretty much the same stuff needed for most backpacking and water camping trips, a person would probably get better response using sites like Craigslist or generic forums...
Fair enough.