Backpacking Hammocks

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Backpacking Hammocks

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Has anyone used backpacking hammocks on IR and if so, is there anything I need to consider when doing so other then just the standard hammock stuff (colder underside, tarps, etc)? I just want to make sure that if we take them that there will be places and trees to erect them at the various campsites. If there are campsites that are not hammock friendly, that info would also help. Thanks.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Re: Backpacking Hammocks

Post by DonNewcomb »

I thought about my Hennessey Hammock while camping on IR. One of the issues you have is that the camping regulations are not really hammock-friendly. You must camp either in a shelter or in a tent site, unless you have a cross-country camping permit. If you are in a shelter, the subject is moot. If you are in a tent site you are limited to a specific area. There may or may not be trees you can use for a hammock in your specific area. They may be 50' outside your camping area but the way some rangers my choose to view it, that could be the same as a mile away. Cross-country camping is a whole different can of worms but a hammock would be a very good choice for cross-country.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

DonNewcomb wrote:Cross-country camping is a whole different can of worms but a hammock would be a very good choice for cross-country.
If I remember in your trip report, you did some cross country hiking or at least had the permit. Did you camp outside the camp grounds or just hiked off the trails?
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

PatrickBDunlap wrote:Has anyone used backpacking hammocks on IR and if so, is there anything I need to consider when doing so other then just the standard hammock stuff (colder underside, tarps, etc)? I just want to make sure that if we take them that there will be places and trees to erect them at the various campsites. If there are campsites that are not hammock friendly, that info would also help. Thanks.
I've taken my Hennessey several times in the past, and have always been able to find a pair of trees to hang from. They may not always be the perfect distance apart, but if your setup can deal with some variation in hang distance you shouldn't have a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to take my hammock if I'm the only one hanging in a group.

While most sites can accommodate a single hammock somewhere, two hammocks in a group make it harder (not impossible, but harder). This is because you are expected to stay at or fairly close to a designated site, like Don already mentioned. Part of making this work is to be flexible about having a ground setup for at least one of the hammocks, which is recommended anyway if you'll be taking advantage of the shelters. What are you using for under-insulation? A pad may not be as comfortable as an underquilt when hanging, but it works great if you do go to ground or stay in a shelter.

We did find out that the rangers frown on hanging hammocks at trees near shelter sites, and they will have you take it down. They want you to hang at tent sites only, but this may not matter if the ground is clear beneath the hammock.

Depending on what time of year you go, hammocks make excellent bug bivvies in the shelter if you have a few mosquitos in the shelter at night. Not that we'd hang in a shelter, we'd just do a ground setup by tying the side strings out to a wall (no nails added ... use existing boards for hanging clothes).

Two things to beware of:
1) Be aware of any widow-makers at the campsites, especially in the birch forest at South Lake Desor.
2) At Washington Harbor, and other places I'd imagine, be careful of hanging across the paths to water as the moose use them at night.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

:lol: I can see it now. I am asleep in my hammock and I start to feel some nudge, thinking that I am in my bed at home I ask my wife what she want, then getting pushed right out of my hammock and stepped on by a 1000 pounds of confused moose.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Or worse, run into a friendly moose! :o
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

srparr wrote:Or worse, run into a friendly moose! :o
Oh thanks! NOW I'm going to have nightmares :shock:
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

PatrickBDunlap wrote:
DonNewcomb wrote:Cross-country camping is a whole different can of worms but a hammock would be a very good choice for cross-country.
If I remember in your trip report, you did some cross country hiking or at least had the permit. Did you camp outside the camp grounds or just hiked off the trails?
We camped, one night, with a permit, but as I explained in my trip report, despite what the field rangers implied to us, you must be in the exact XC zone on the exact night specified. Any variation in your schedule requires endorsement by a ranger, in writing (i.e. on your permit). It's strange because they don't really seem to care about campgrounds. Except for groups, you can change your campground schedule all you want and no one seems to care.

Anyway, we camped XC one night and it was not easy to find a clear flat spot. Hammocks would have been much easier.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I've used a "Crazy Creek" hammock on IR many times and I love it. Haven't had any problems finding trees to hang from. In the shelters, I take along a couple of C-clamps and tie to them. I especially like the fact that I'm off the hard ground (pads just don't work for me, no matter how thick the hips get sore). Since I kayak, the weight of the clamps is not an issue, though not something I'd try to carry in the backpack.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Nick wrote: In the shelters, I take along a couple of C-clamps and tie to them.
While C-clamps would probably be too heavy for backpacking, I would be interested in finding some sort of light-weight 2x4 gripper that would accomplish the same task. There must be something on the market that would do this without leaving serious marks on the wood.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

It is important to test whatever clamps you are going to use well in advance. Here is how I do it. I go out to the garage or down to the basement--wherever there are wood frame studs, both 2 x 4, 2 x 6, and double 2 x 4s. Then, toss an old mattress on the floor. First time, I clamped on a 2 x 4. Hopped in the hammock, rolled around, bounced a bit, then crashed to the floor when the 2 x 4 broke. I found the safest way was to clamp on to the doubled 2 x 4s (i.e. 4 x 4) where the roof of the shelter meets the wall, then across to the double 2 x 4s by the door. I also had a buddy who is a welder rough up the clamps so that they bite better. Never had a crash after that.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

srparr wrote:Or worse, run into a friendly moose! :o
After a few days on IR, I might smell like a moose. Funny, my wife, who has foolishly decided she was going with me, is planning the trip at the right time to ensure she does not attract any friendly moose which I never thought of it but makes a lot of sense.
tmschepler
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by tmschepler »

My wife and I brought our ENO DoubleNest hammock and were very glad we did. We put it up every evening. It was really nice to put your feet up after a long day of hiking. You won't always have the perfect trees but we managed just fine at each campsite. We will be bringing it with us again this year for sure!!
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Well, I bought my ENO double-nest and since it is winter here in Michigan with deep snow I decided to try it out in the basement. I took some eye-hooks and drilled them in the studs and put it up. Laid in it and thought it felt nice but wanted to make it a bit more taunt so I moved one of my eye-hooks to another stud and laid in it again. Well, lets just say the 2x4 wacking my in the head was exactly what I deserved. The person who put that stud in did not nail it at the bottom. Luckily I put a air pad under me so I did not hit the floor with my butt.

But I do like my ENO :mrgreen:
KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Post by KeyMeKoe »

In August 2006 I circumnavigated Isle Royale with 2 friends. We camped at Daisy Farm, Malone Bay, Attwood Beach, Huginnin Cove, Todd Harbor, Belle Isle and Merritt Lane. The only bedding I had was a Hennessy Hammock. I had no problem with trees or rangers. While camping, we met rangers at Daisy Farm, Todd Harbor, and Belle Isle. The rangers said nothing to me about my hammock. At Daisy Farm and Todd Harbor, the rangers both commented on my harmonica playing. The ranger at Daisy Farm did not like it and the ranger at Todd Harbor liked it. Perhaps the lesson here is that if you hammock camp, bring a harmonica.