Hiking in Sports Sandals or Other Footwear

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Hiking in Sports Sandals or Other Footwear

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

I am looking at some of the posters trip reports and hearing about the trails, wetness, and weather and wondering if I could pull off hiking IR in my Keen sports sandals. If I did I would get a good pair of waterproof socks like SealSkins and some liners just to keep my feet warm and dry but I am more concerned about the roughness of the trails and if I need the ankle support of a full boot. The Keens would dry out faster and allow my feet to breath more so then boots and would be lighter. I assume my Keens will give me as much support as tennis shoes.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Hiking in Sports Sandals or Other Footwear

Post by Tom »

I'd stick to boots with ankle support for the trails. Sandals are best left for the campsite.
Sure, there are a few trails where you could probably get away with sandals, but I think when you're wearing the weight of a pack you should help out those feet with good boots. There are also numerous trails that are full of boulders and roots, some of which you won't see because of the thick understory of plants... Plenty of ankle twisters!
Last, because of the unique geography of the Isle, very often you'll be walking 'on an angle' for one direction for a time... And boots will certainly help with that.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

I would agree with Tom. I have done some day hikes in my sandals (Chacos) and even did a long day of backpacking in them because I had a wicked blister on one of my feet. Although I was able to get by, I would never plan on backpacking on the island in anything other than boots.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

You should definately wear boots. Twisting your ankle while carrying a backpack would not be fun. Many trails have stones and roots that seem to appear just as you look up.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Thanks for the advice, I will heed you warnings.