West or East? Which side do you like more? Why?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

West Side or East Side Trail Accessible Campgrounds?

West Side
64%
East Side
36%

Total votes: 11

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

West or East? Which side do you like more? Why?

Post by Rafiki »

Here are our contenders:

In this corner we have the West Side of Isle Royale:

Little Todd Harbor
North Lake Desor
Huginnin Cove
Washington Creek
Feldtmann Lake
Siskiwit Lake
Island Mine
South Lake Desor
Malone Bay
Hatchet Lake

In the other corner we have the East Side of the Island:

Rock Harbor
Three Mile
Daisy Farm
Moskey Basin
Chippewa Harbor
Lake Richie
West Chickenbone
Todd Harbor
McCargoe Cove
East Chicken Bone
Lane Cove

Here are somethings to consider when giving your response. The basis of your answer should rest on which trail campgrounds (this does not include campgrounds that require a watercraft to gain access to) you like more and nothing else. This does not include you opinion on the trails or views on the trail. While you can make comments about how you dislike or like one side more than the other based off of the trails and views on the trails, your vote should be focused on you opinions on the campgrounds on both sides of the island. Ready! Go!
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: West or East? Which side do you like more? Why?

Post by Tom »

Oh, this hardly seems fair, grouping them just east and west. Having a "center" section would make it interesting, or dividing it by the trail on which they are on. You have the Indian Portage Trail (thereabouts) Trifecta of McCargoe/Moskey/Chippewa all on the east list. Poor Feldtman and Little Todd just can't overcome putting all the sheltered water Lake Superior sites on one side.
I therefore refuse to cast my vote out of protest that this election has been rigged. :wink:

Also, you didn't mention season... Like Fall... when Island Mine blows the rest of them out of the water. (Which, ironically, it still tends to have very little water around.)

The East sites might be more visually appealling, but with the exception of the caps of the seasons when traffic is lower, the West sites can be more appealing to the recluse in all of us...
They're all awesome. (Except Chickenbone East. Can't say I'll ever find that rocky tent pad/quarter mile hike to water campsite on my list.)
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Purely on the campsites I'd say east however I prefer west due to crowds of people. All in all Nowhere beats Moskey Basin for me. The shelters right on the rock leading into the water is AWESOME.

Siskiwit Bay is pretty nice on the west end.

Little Todd is probably my favorite no shelters campground. LOVE the fire rings right at the sites.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Could also divide it based on the Indian Portage trail, putting Chippewa and Lake Richie in the East bracket and McCargoe, Chick West on the West bracket??? That makes it interesting :D

Based on your division, I would think Todd would be in the west??

Anyway, based on your pole, I will vote west. Of course I tend to like the "wilderness sites". Little Todd is one of my favorites. I also agree with Tom on Island Mine. We spent two days there @ October 1 and it was absolutely beautiful. Like living in a painting that the wind would keep changing. Also a big fan of Feldtmann and Siskiwit Bay. Not to mention the beach at South Desor at sunset.

Man, as I watch the sun go down on this beautiful day, I wish to be anywhere on the island!
Just have to make it to September.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Pack mules seem to prefer the west end ;) It has a different feel to it on the west side,also it seems to be less populated. Daisey farm was nice but I am not into the city feel,personally I don't care if I go into Rock harbor.I am afraid that it would ruin the island for me,sortof take away the wilderness feel ....so to speak. As long as were voting, Little Todd harbor is my favorite campsite on the island probably 3 or 4 in the all time favorites list! My wife keeps looking at me like I am nuts when I say I wish I could have a bottle of little todd harbor water....silky smooth, cold as ice, rolling past the tongue to drown my thirst ! Only mother nature could brew the perfection that is Lk Superior water! :) .Darn it! Now I need a drink! :)
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Less folks makes it feel like a true wilderness.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

What about North -- Minong Trail campsites -- and South -- Greenstone Ridge Trail and south campsites? Canoe/ boat only campsites?

As has been stated before, the timing of being at a campsite is second only to the location of the campsite. Little Todd, because of its remoteness and its scenery, is my favorite campsite. My experience with Moskey basin has been in the group sites where I have shared the site with other campers not in my party of 1 due to the rest of the campground being full. The MB group sites are not as scenic as the shelters are.

Since the poll is about East versus West, I will have to go with the West end of the island. None of the Rock Harbor craziness to deal with.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

First time on the west end last week and I have to say that I loved the campsites and was underwhelmed by the hikes. There seem to be more great views on the east, but better camping on the west.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

What about Outside vs. Inside?

Campgrounds and trails alongside the Big Lake vs. those inland?

What can I say? I love Lake Superior. I love the sounds. I love the cool breezes. I love the fresh water.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013