Isle Royale First Timers

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

sachsjoh
NewbieCake

Isle Royale First Timers

Post by sachsjoh »

We're already talking about Isle Royale on or around Memorial day weekend next year, and was looking to see what you guys thought of our itinerary

Friday: Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor on the 8:00 AM Voyager
Friday: Rock Harbor to Moskey 11 Miles
Saturday: Moskey to McCargo 8.6 Miles
Sunday: McCargo to Lane Cove 13.3 Miles
Monday: Lane Cove to Rock Harbor 6.9 Miles and make the 2:45 boat back

Also how busy is it during this time, and I assume we will beat the bugs. Thanks!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Isle Royale First Timers

Post by IncaRoads »

You did not mention your experience level and/or physical conditioning.

Quoted from the Rangers at Isle Royale National Park ... "Many people underestimate hiking travel times and overestimate their abilities. Plan shorter, realistic travel days; don’t turn your wilderness trek into a forced march. The average hiking distance per day is 6-8 miles for beginning backpackers and 8-10 miles for experienced backpackers."
sachsjoh
NewbieCake

Post by sachsjoh »

We are pretty experienced. We did about 48 miles at pictured rocks this year in 47 hours.
Member of the I.R.B.A.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I assume you are taking the Queen not the Voyager...

I would love that route/ miles... people might call me crazy, and some of my friends will no longer backpack with me.... if you have done long miles before it is very doable. McCargo to Lane is a long dry stretch, bring plenty of water.
PartyPopperBoi
NewbieCake

Post by PartyPopperBoi »

:shock: sachsjoh, my advice, pack lots of peanut butter. You can eat it during an emergency and also use it as lotion if need be. It also works as a hair gel substitute if you find yourself needing to look fresh for the ladies after a day on the trail.
sachsjoh
NewbieCake

Post by sachsjoh »

Yes the Queen not the Voyager!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I think that would be a great trip. I've been once in that week of memorial day and there were zero bugs. It was still below freezing on a couple of the nights so dress warm. You shouldn't too much trouble scoring a shelter at the sites that have them.
drmarv
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by drmarv »

While some might consider this an aggressive trip, it is doable. I agree that the hike from McCargo to Lane Cove will be long w/out water. Your last stop will be East Chickenbone. The climb out of Lane is steep but you should be able to get to Rock Harbor w/ plenty of time to spare. The last time I did that portion we left LC around 9:30 and still had time to shower and do laundry @ RH. Sounds like a great first time experience.
AndrewDaDon
NewbieCake

Post by AndrewDaDon »

40 miles in 4 days is weak ish. STEP YA GAME UP SACHSJOH!!!
sachsjoh
NewbieCake

Post by sachsjoh »

We've actually changed our route to:

Day 1: Rock Harbor to Lane Cove
Day 2: Lane Cove to Chickenbone West
Day 3: Chickenbone West to Daisy Farm
Day 4: Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor

Thoughts?
Member of the I.R.B.A.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

That's a nice route and doable. Pack a little extra water at LC for the hike to Chickenbone. Also, get an early start from Daisy for RH, especially if you plan to hike the Rock Harbor trail all the way instead of diverting to the easier Tobin Harbor trail.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

hi sachsjoh,
Ive done all the trails except the minong, so may I make a small suggestion for a first time trip. This is the trip we traveled the first time we came to the island and had never backpacked before.
Day 1- Copper harbor to Rock harbor, hoof it to daisy farm and stay in a shelter not facing the lake. This time of year it can be terrible cold at night especially off the lake, but you are right no bugs to worry about. the reason I say to stop here is to explore the area, check out the dock, nice small sandy area by the water, and it gives you a chance to possibly visit with others and enjoy the area.
day 2- head to Moskey, you need to have lunch here. pass thru Lake Ritchie, cast a line or two, and head on to west chickenbone. Make camp here at site 2. you can fish here too.
Day 3- Rise early take hike to mccargo cove without packs, sightsee around the mines. Back to grab your packs and head to the greenstone follow it either back to daisy farm or all the way to rock harbor. Now if you want 3 mile is always overlooked. I find it to be a nice stop to stay. your close to the water, and can get up and make the boat without hurry.
Day-4 when you arrive back at rock harbor, drop your packs and hike out skoville point.
either way, we have seen moose at all these wonderful places, even run into people we have met on here. enjoy your trip and don't forget to post a return trip on here please. happy hiking!
drmarv
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by drmarv »

Your adjusted plan is also very doable. As I stated earlier, the climb out of LC is very steep. I have done RH to LC on the first day of a trip and then as the last day of a trip. My older son went w/ me when we did it as the first day (he has never been back) but when I made it the last day of the trip I took w/ his younger brother and some friends, it was much more enjoyable and they have all been back to IR at least once. When we made LC to RH our last day we were able to leave LC @ 9 AM (checked my log) and got to RH w/ plenty of time to shower and wash a load of clothes so that we did not offend anyone on the boat. Have a great time and enjoy your time on IR for it is a special place.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

We love that time of year .....but the nights can be cold!!! The trails can be Very wet and muddy with standing water and slippery rocks for miles! Warm sleeping gear and good boots, the rest is just training &experience :) .
sachsjoh
NewbieCake

Post by sachsjoh »

On our way back home and wow what an awesome first trip to IR! We stuck to the adjusted schedule except passed Daisy and stayed at Three Mile on day three. Great route. Can't really think of a better one for the time we had. Glad we did the climb out of lane cove on the second morning when our legs were still very fresh. Thanks for all the advice!
Member of the I.R.B.A.