[Info] Cross-Country Camping: Regulations & Zones

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: [Info] Backcountry Zones

Post by jrwiesz »

irhikers wrote:...having your permit issued at Rock Harbor reduces the time the boat has to wait at Windigo.
That makes good sense!

The Voyaguer II trip seems like a special means of access to the Isle; the many possible stops along the way to Rock Harbor, an experience in itself.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: [Info] Cross-Country Camping Zones

Post by IncaRoads »

NPS published a new Cross-Country Camping Zones map today. Refer to the post at the top of this thread for updated information on...

1) Cross-Country Camping Regulations
2) NEW Cross-Country Camping Zones
seymourdunn
NewbieCake

Post by seymourdunn »

Has anyone successfully XC-camped in Zone 13? Or is it an intentional false positive (red flag for rangers)? Based on my measurements (squints and pushes glasses up my nose), it's not possible to be 1/2 mile from the Ojibwe Tower, 1/4 off the trail (Greenstone, Ojibwe, or Daisy Farm trails), and still 200 feet from water (Lake Ojibwe and Tobin Creek) within the Zone 13 triangle.

In other news, what can I do, as a first-timer, to make the most convincing case to the rangers that my partner and I are prepared enough to XC-camp in Zone 12? Precise GPS coordinates of our desired (and rule-abiding) spot? A map/compass orienteering skills demo? Our Eagle Scout tattoos?? I'd just hate to get all the way there, lay out our case and preparations, only to be told Nope, sorry, y'all are first-timers, so stick to the campgrounds.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

seymourdunn wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:56 am In other news, what can I do, as a first-timer, to make the most convincing case to the rangers that my partner and I are prepared enough to XC-camp in Zone 12?
You'd want to be able to tell them that you already have experience cross-country camping, and be able to say where, when, and for how long (e.g. "I spent 2 nights cross-country camping while I hiked around Keweenaw point").
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: [Info] Cross-Country Camping: Regulations & Zones

Post by IncaRoads »

NPS has updated the information on Cross-Country Camping for 2022. Refer to the post at the top of this thread for more details on...

1) Cross-Country Camping Regulations
2) Cross-Country Camping Zones