History of trails/campgrounds

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

History of trails/campgrounds

Post by Nym90 »

I'm curious about the history of the trails on Isle Royale.

Does anyone know when the various trails were built? I'm assuming the Indian Portage Trail (at least the sections directly connecting lakes) is thousands of years old, and I remember hearing that the Minong Ridge Trail was built in the 1960's. Does anyone know when the other trails were constructed?

Also, I've heard that there are some former trails that are no longer maintained and have grown in. Does anyone know where these were, their approximate routes, and when they were abandoned?

I assume that given funding difficulties being faced by the NPS at all levels that there are no current plans to construct more trails; however I think some good possibilities if the terrain is hospitable would be a Malone Bay-Chippewa Harbor trail, and a Lane Cove-McCargoe Cove trail. A trail going up onto the Houghton Ridge would also be quite scenic, I imagine.

Regarding the campgrounds, I assume many of them are historic locations that have been in use for hundreds of not thousands of years as well in various forms, but does anyone know the history of when the shelters were built, when the campground facilities were constructed, etc.?
DP89
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: History of trails/campgrounds

Post by DP89 »

I have no idea about the history of the trails. However I would be interested to hear/see an exhibit of this information too. You should email the Isle Royale NPS about this because they really want to hear this kind of stuff from us. They want to know what we would like to see/ what we value.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: History of trails/campgrounds

Post by Tampico »

DP89 wrote:I have no idea about the history of the trails. However I would be interested to hear/see an exhibit of this information too. You should email the Isle Royale NPS about this because they really want to hear this kind of stuff from us. They want to know what we would like to see/ what we value.
This.

And an email sent...