Malone Bay

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Malone Bay

Post by Kevinl »

I haven't decided if I'm hiking or paddling (interior lakes) IR this year, but after not seeing the island last year, I'm definitely going, hopefully earlier in the season (in the past my job situation has always made trips possible only after mid-July but I no longer have a job). Either way, I enjoy fishing. I'm considering somehow making Malone Bay a part of my itinerary. But of course it's not really between anything. However, I will be traveling on the Voyageur or Wenonah and could ask the Voyageur to pick me up there. For those of you who have been there, is it worth the extra effort/pick up? Please tell me why I would want to go there or not go there.

If I hike I will most likely make it an extension of a Minong trip (Huginnin Cove, N. Desor, Little Todd, Hatchet Lake, Malone Bay). I've done the Minong a couple times from McCargoe to Washington Creek.

If I paddle I will most likely make it an extension of a McCargoe, Chickenbone, Richie Canoe, Wood Lake trip (I've done this a couple times finishing at Chippewa Harbor).

Thanks.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Malone Bay

Post by Rafiki »

Good question. I am interested in hearing the answers you receive. It's a 7.2 miles hike of of the greenstone trail and it really sticks to think that you would have to re-hike that same 7.2 miles to exit this location. I've thought about being picked up from their when I got to Isle Royale this year, but I guess the really question to be asked is hiking to the site worth it in the first place. Also, besides considering the landscape and beauty of this location, can anyone comment on the actual 7.2 miles of scenery?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I consider Malone to be a "one way" location. Either get picked up (easier) or dropped off. It IS a campsite worth visiting, however. The shelters are on the Lake Superior side, placed amongst a bunch of aggregate/conglomerate rocks that you don't see too many places while hiking the Isle. Lots of lichen and moss, too.
There is a trail over to the ranger area and dock, that crosses a nice stream/outflow from Lake Siskiwit. Another trail/portage essentially follows up the stream just a little bit, over to Siskiwit Falls, and Lake Siskiwit. If it's windy on one side, it will often be calm on the other, and vice versa, so always a place to bask in the sun. From a hiking perspective (I can't say for pleasure boaters) I would say it's a fairly quiet camp.
The Ishpeming Trail is fairly flat as it follows along Lake Siskiwit's south side, and takes you past over a stream on the west side. The trail then meanders over a few ridges, eventually starting a 3-4 mile uphill stretch. That's why down to Malone tends to be easier. The trail, perhaps because it's not often used, can be a bit to find, especially in the grassy open areas; and you cross through a few areas burned out many years ago.
Eventually you'll make it to the Ishpeming tower, a great rest area (especially in a rainfall), but not much of a view.
From there it's about equal distance and effort to get to Desor S or Hatchet Lake.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Fishing from a canoe vs fishing from shore, hmmmm :D Since you've done the inland lakes before, you could do a Rock Harbor to Malone trip, either through Intermediate, or Chippewa/Whittlesey. If you haven't done it before, paddling Rock Harbor is a different experience and you can check out the lighthouse and the Peterson cabin. Malone Bay is about the only paddling destination I haven't made on the NE end, and hope to include it in my next trip.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I went solo from the Greenstone down to Malone in '08. Tom's right there are some places that you have to be careful. The trail tends to go off rocks into some brush/or woods about three or four times. You have to look for the trail there a few times. Going down hill was preferred by me. There were several trees down as well. In the last half you do come across some very tall grass and thimbleberry patches. Don't race through them and looking down from time to time should keep you on the trail. Again as Tom indicated, Malone is a nice quiet campground. The only place on Isle Royale I ever was able to call home with my cell phone (picnic table at shelter 1). Don't have any idea how I got my wife back in Ohio that day. Hike east to the stream from L. Siskiwit to get fresh water and then wade in Malone Bay. I zoned out for about an hour in that area. Saw the Queen (with my scope) heading back to Copper Harbor. Overnight it got cold. The V2 picked me up at 10 the next day. Got to see some of the folks I came over with from Gr. Portage. Folks wanted to know how the trail was down to Malone. Go down and then ride the ferry back from there.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Are you coming in from Grand Portage or Copper Harbor? If from Grand Portage, I would then think you would want to start at Malone Bay since the boat has to travel around the island clock wise otherwise you will be on the boat going around the island for a long time.

BTW, this is our plan for our next trip.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the info. I think I'm definitely hiking, always coming from Grand Portage.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I believe you'll enjoy the hike down to Malone. Wish I could join you. Looking forward to your trip report. I might try finishing up the Greenstone and Indian Portage trails this year.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

A funny story of how I made it to Malone Bay.

After a 90 mile, two week solo trek from Windigo to Rock Harbor via the Feldtmann Loop and crisscrossing the north end, the dead-end aspects of both Malone Bay and Chippewa Harbor were really grating on me for several months as I planned my next trip back in 1976-77. So I decided I would solve the problem by bushwacking from Chippewa Harbor to Malone Bay. Large areas of bald ridges encouraged me as I studied topo maps as best I could but of course that was pre-Internet and pre-GPS.

I arrived in CH and had the entire place to myself until dusk. At that time a 35 foot cabin cruiser pulled in for the night. After the couple aboard learned of my plans for the next day they offered me a lift.

I almost turned them down but my smarter side (assuming I really had one) overpowered my ego and told me it was divine intervention. Best decision I probably ever made.

Malone Bay campground area is quite unique as I recall, mostly flat, low elevation, not a lot of dense trees, fairly brushy/grassy with large flat and gravely out crops. Also several areas of “beach” with gently sloping shallows with lots of orange lichen. Siskiwit falls (rapids is more like it) is pretty cool. It was packed with spawning suckers when I was there.

Here’s a link to a Malone Bay campsite panorama Don posted in 2009:

http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/downloa ... &mode=view

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I've hiked in and out of Malone from the Greenstone (actually started at Siskwit campground that day) and back. The trail can be tough to find. When you get to the boardwalk on th SW end of Siskwit Lake, remember that you are only 1/2 way there. You've still got three and one-half miles to go. I was pretty bushed when I got to Malone but I was really rewarded for the hike: 1. there is a log ranger station near the dock that makes for a great reading room and it has chairs. After almost two week, there is nothing like a chair! 2. I stumbled on to a group having their annual Friday night fish fry (I've since joined them several other times) and the invited me to their buffet. I hike out a couple of days later well fed and well rested.