Greenstone Ridge Trail fastest known time (FKT) attempt 7/10

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ericcharette
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Greenstone Ridge Trail fastest known time (FKT) attempt 7/10

Post by ericcharette »

Hello all!

For those of you that have been watching the forum in the last few months, you might have noticed that I announced my intent to set the fastest known time on the 40.1 mile Greenstone Ridge Trail (GRT) this summer. The specific date of the FKT will be Tuesday, July 10. Per the details below, I believe the time to beat is 10h 12m, but that is in question. Per my notes, I believe that my time will be documented standard.

http://ericcharette.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... l-fkt.html

After an intense training period (up to 100 miles a week, with long runs ~ 50km in the heat of Alabama) I have started my taper. I will be carrying a lightweight pack with 120oz of water and enough calories. My biggest concerns are:

1) Trail markings (I am running this trail sight-unseen and though I have heard the markings are good, I am concerned about the ability to follow the trail, in trying to run it for time)
2) Water (I am carrying nearly a gallon of water in my pack and have mapped out water sources at campgrounds, they are all off the ridge and would add time, so I will most likely be pushing through. I am running west to east and most off trail water sources are early (first 20 miles) so it won't matter much later in the day.
3) Weather (My trip is structured around the specific day of July 10, so no matter the weather, I am going to push through)

While I have stated that I will be running this unsupported, if things get desperate, I am open to aid. If I take anything from anyone, this record will just have the note that it was supported, and not unsupported. Though I am not planning on getting aid from anyone specific, I am wondering who will be on the island and on the GRT on July 10. Can you please let me know if you will be, and about where you will be. I might be willing to give you lots of money for water:)

I believe that given a decent weather day, I can complete the entire trail in 9 hours 15 minutes or faster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The official details are on my blog, as well as summarized below.

I will be following the common sense guidelines proposed by Buzz Burrell and documented by Peter Bakwin on http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com

1.) Announce your intentions in advance. Like a true gentleman, pay your respects to those who came before you, and tell them what you intend to attempt and when.
2.) Be an open book. Invite anyone to come and watch or, better yet, participate. This makes your effort more fun and any result more believable.
3.) Record your event. Write down everything immediately upon completion. Memory doesn't count.

There are many reports of a park ranger from Amygdaloid (small island off of Isle Royale) who ran from Rock Harbor to Windigo in 2008 (documented in the personal log book of George Hite of http://www.eagleharborweb.net/) but did not traverse along the entire length of the GRT, but instead ran from Rock Harbor Lodge to the Windigo Campground. Apparently the ranger also ran back to Rock Harbor on the second day, which is a tremendous feat! There is also a claim posted on the BackPacker.com website of "bstearns" running the GRT in 10 hours and 12 minutes. There are no other details of this report and while the aforementioned rules are mostly guidelines and since there is not sufficient information about this report, I can not validate the time. I have spoken with the National Park Service, several authors of books on Isle Royale, and numerous people on this forum http://isleroyaleforums.com/ and no one can substantiate any faster times for the entire GRT. Therefore, based on my research, while I will be targeting a time of less than 10 hours and 12 minutes, this will be the first speed FKT attempt (many people hike this entire trail in 3 to 7 days) properly documented as noted in the guidelines above. If anyone can provide documentation of a faster time, I will certainly stand corrected.

Along the way I will document all of my split times at each major trail intersection for proof of the FKT. I will have witnesses at the start and their names will be noted. I will then be joined at the eastern terminus by my Father, Dennis Charette who will witness the conclusion of the run. I am excited that after the run, we will get to spend another day on the island, which will coincide with his 61st birthday. Having lived in Michigan for a combined 80 years, this will be our first trip to the majestic island.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Greenstone Ridge Trail fastest known time (FKT) attempt

Post by Ingo »

We'll miss you by a couple weeks--wish I was able to hand you some water as you ran by! Good luck and can't wait to read your report.
BTW, when I read your web site, all I can think of is the line from The Princess Bride, "Inconceivable!" Beyond impressed, whatever the outcome.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Best of luck and do be careful (you will be dealing with exposed rock which is slippery when wet and some board "walks" which are narrow and possibly slippery. Once you are past Mt. Franklin headed NE, the trail will be essentially overgrown with plants. As you will be hitting this stretch in lower light conditions at the end of the day, be especially careful.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Today is the day. Good Luck.
You are sure running by some great views.
Many, if not most, visit the Isle to slow down and relax.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Looks like good weather for the run:
Mostly sunny, west winds 6-9, 74 @Windigo, 71 @ Mt Ojibway
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Any news of an outcome?
Anyone?
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

Day 3 - Thurs July 12
* Depart Rock Harbor at 8:00am central via Voyageur 2
* Arrive Windigo at 12:30pm central to pick up gear stored
* Fly from Windigo back to Houghton via seaplane (for me and my crew) at 3pm

He is due back on land this afternoon. I'm chomping at the bit to hear how it went, too.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

I think he was going for fastest known time (run) not fastest known trip report:) I am anxious to hear the news as well!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Not trying to steal his thunder but his tweets and website report his time was 8:47:36.

http://www.ericcharette.com/

https://twitter.com/EricCharette

Congratulations Eric on a very successful effort.

It will be very interesting to hear some details.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

Congratulations Eric on a very successful effort.
x2 Richard
ericcharette
NewbieCake

Post by ericcharette »

I apologize for the delays, but we didn't get back to civilization until late Thursday night and I really wanted to document this run well so that there would be no question on the legitimacy!

First of all, I wanted to say thanks to all of you for the information provided. It was very helpful to me on knowledge of the island and the trails.

On July 10, I ran the entire 40.4 mile Greenstone Ridge Trail on Isle Royale, unsupported, from the Washington Creek Trail to the Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise Trail in 8 hours, 47 minutes and 36.90 seconds. Based on my research, I have now have run this trail faster than anyone else, ever.

I just posted the summary, mileages, pictures, etc and it can be found at http://ericcharette.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... me-on.html or on my website at http://www.ericcharette.com

While I am not going to call this record soft, it is totally beatable; I even mention how I think it can be done! It certainly won't be by me as I have made my peace with the island and despite having a great adventure, it is time to let someone else give it a shot!

Thanks again and take care, Eric
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Congrats Eric! I just reviewed your GPS log and pics...an amazing feat!
backpackingZombie
NewbieCake

Post by backpackingZombie »

Congratulations!!! What a feat.
Jackfish
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Jackfish »

I've heard of people attempting speed records through the Boundary Waters or Quetico, too. As much as I admire great physical feats, I just don't get speeding through paradise. It takes planning, preparation and mental toughness - I get all that. I guess I'm just into smelling the roses and enjoying the sites as I go.
"It's only a spot on the map... until you go there!"
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Jackfish, I completely hear you, but maybe he's not the outdoorsish type of guy. You know, not everyone is like us where we consider vacation as meaning carrying a 35lb backpack, while wearing a headnet and bug spray, and hiking 10 miles a day :)

Anyways congrats on your feat Eric. I think it is cool that you put your body through such a physical and enduring task. Although, just like with triathlons, I question whether or not your body appreciates it.

By the way, does anyone know how old Eric is? Or Eric if you are reading this, how old are you? :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)