Toilet paper

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Toilet paper

Post by LeftOvers »

I don't see any posts on this very important topic. I expect a fair amount of bathroom humor to follow.

From my last trip, it looked like there was no toilet paper stocked in any of the campgrounds without a dock. Is that so?

Can I expect to find TP in September and October at campgrounds with docks, where park service staff could easily replenish the supply, clean up, etc.?

I plan on bringing my own TP, I'm just not sure how much I'm likely to find.

Thanks
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Toilet paper

Post by MikeT »

In my experience every campground with a dock has TP year round with the exception of Little Todd Harbor. Also, most inland camps typically have TP, but are less reliable than the shore camps.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

My take on this is that the rangers generally won't hike into the bush just to replenish toilet paper.

If they were smart they'd pass it out at Windigo/Rock Harbor and ask folks to leave it at the various campsites they are heading to. It's not like a roll of paper weighs all that much.
lzc
NewbieCake

Post by lzc »

Hi
We just returned and found the toilets at Daisy and Moskey well stocked. The ones at McCargo were hit and miss whether they had TP.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

Thanks for all the responses.

May 2010, Chickenbone West & Lake Ritchie Group Site outhouses had no TP which prompted my question. For what it's worth, they didn't warn us when we registered but we had some of our own.

Interesting that McCargoe Cove was hit or miss. Rangers visit that campgrounds regularly. So much for my theory on docks & TP.

I like the idea of hikers being involved in replenishing TP in the other outhouses. Do IRNP have a suggestion box?
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

LeftOvers wrote:Thanks for all the responses.

May 2010, Chickenbone West & Lake Ritchie Group Site outhouses had no TP which prompted my question. For what it's worth, they didn't warn us when we registered but we had some of our own.

Interesting that McCargoe Cove was hit or miss. Rangers visit that campgrounds regularly. So much for my theory on docks & TP.
I spent a night at McCargoe during the week before Memorial Day in 2010. A Ranger pulled up in a boat with a large bag full of TP, checked the facilities there and then headed up to Chickenbone with his supplies so I know they are trying to take care of things. I think the biggest problem is that sometimes a backpacker decides to take the roll with them. In that case you won't even see a cardboard roll on the holder. I think that I've only encountered on privy with no TP and that was at South Desor in August 2009.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

You can email them here.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Theory on McCargo being wiped out: it's a popular starting point, folks use the facilities and realize "Oh crap, I forgot to bring TP", and quietly sneak it into their pack. Personally I assume there will be none anywhere, butt usually bring most of it home.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

TP in EVERY privy? Now there is an American view of entitlement! There is nothing like getting away from it all eh!
(the opinions expressed in posts made by this user do not necessarily reflect the opinions of isleroyaleforums.com or it's affiliates)

As with any aspect of an Isle Royale adventure : Arrive prepapred to be self reliant.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

As it turned out, they were out of TP at Washington Creek when I was there in October. I was the only one there and easily got more from the ranger station. I later found the group site very well supplied - about 6 rolls per privy.

Speaking of privies, I saw the largest spider I've ever seen (that wasn't in a display somewhere) in a privy at Washington Creek. One of the rangers said it was a fisher (fishing?) spider and was common on the island, and especially liked outhouses.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Has anyone had a negative experience with these large spiders? I remember reading someone's post about a large spider at Island Mine.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

According to the ranger, the spider I saw is pretty harmless.

As to TP - McCargoe Cove was out in the middle of September. Malone Bay was very well supplied.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

There's always TP in my pack. Like coffee and chocolate, soft, fluffy TP is worth the weight.
Losttrekman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Losttrekman »

Hi...I'm new here...the dreaded Newbie 8)

I was in the park the week of September 22nd and every toilet that I used was fully stocked with TP.. I normally pack my own anyway but this sorta surprised me. It was a pleasant surprise.
I'm the Losttrekman...