Where is the best panoramic view?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Starfire
NewbieCake

Where is the best panoramic view?

Post by Starfire »

Where is the best panoramic view on the island?
I am planning an appx. 7 day trip for summer 2013. It will probably be a solo hike, but not sure. Before I get too far into my itinerary, I have my one main question. Everything is pretty much up for grabs... but there's one thing I want to make certain of. I want to see at least once on the trip; the best panoramic veiw of the island.

I was there 30 years ago as a teenager, and remember standing on a point (I think it was on the Greenstone Ridge Trail) of the trail near top elevation, where I could see the whole island, and Canada off to the NW. I realize things may have grown over since those days.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Where is the best panoramic view?

Post by bergman »

Have never been there, but I'm guessing Ishpeming Point @ 1377'. Not sure if the lookout tower is still there. Kinda fascinating that the Ishpeming Trail that comes from Malone Bay hits the Greenstone Ridge right at the high point of the ridge. Guess that is an 80 story climb from Malone Bay (including the tower).

The view from Mt. Ojibway tower is pretty outstanding, but I don't think you can see Siskiwit Lake from there.
Last edited by bergman on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

There is no view at the Ishpeming Tower. The tower is too short and the trees surrounding the tower have grown to block the view.

Two best panoramic views (from tower structures): Mount Ojibway Tower, Feldtmann Ridge Tower.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

I have not yet been to the Mount Ojibway Tower, but can attest that the view from the Feldtmann Ridge Tower is quite awesome.

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Lookout Louise is nice; and it's easy to get to.
Starfire
NewbieCake

Post by Starfire »

Tampico wrote:Lookout Louise is nice; and it's easy to get to.
It looks hard to get to. Either use a water taxi or two nights (and no loop) just to see it.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

The best panoramic that I've personally seen is off-trail. Take the Minong Ridge trail west out of McCargoe Cove campground. Go about a 1/2 mile and you'll notice a 50" ridge immediately adjacent to the trail on the north side. Scale this ridge (easy) and you'll be greeted to a spectacular view of the NE part of the island, Lake Superior and Ontario. It's one place we always make a point of going whenever we're at this part of the island.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Access Lookout Louise by canoe. If u have someone along, u can rent a canoe for $24 (half day rate), and paddle down Tobin Harbor to the trailhead. Rental boats are on-site at the seaplane dock on Tobin. If it's a bit rough, u can paddle straight across to the portage trail for Duncan Bay, leaving u a 2 1/4 mi hike to the look-out. Solo? - rent a kayak for $33 (kinda pricey for one person for 1/2 day).

Hey treeplanter: for that overlook on the minong, my map says there is a well in the same vicinity(also on the north side of the trail). Is it still visible/marked?
Starfire
NewbieCake

Post by Starfire »

bergman wrote:Access Lookout Louise by canoe...
I could probably handle a canoe by myself, but what do you do with it when you reach the trail head for lookout Louise? Can you rent it one-way?
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

There is no one-way rental. Where is U-Haul when you really need them? Wilderness has its downside.

I see your dilemma-don't wanna spend good part of one day wrapped up in Louise. It works if you are back at Rock Harbor early and waiting to sail out on the Queen.

If you did a solo rental, the kayak is so worth the extra $9. As you sail to the island, you might find someone who wants to split the canoe rental, assuming s/he feels confident in a solo return paddle. You can stash your pack at the intersection of the Duncan Bay portage trail & the Greenstone Ridge trail.

If you sail on the Ranger, you can ask the boat purser, Paul, for suggestions how you might identify another interested party (he could mention it during the mandatory orientation, during the lake crossing).
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Starfire wrote:
Tampico wrote:Lookout Louise is nice; and it's easy to get to.
It looks hard to get to. Either use a water taxi or two nights (and no loop) just to see it.
What I should have said is that it's easy for me to get to because I have my own boat.

What I really meant is the hike from the dock isn't all that bad, and doesn't take too long.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

One of my favorite spots, although not the highest on the island, is the hill behind the campsite at Chippewa Harbor. You can see a large majority of the island and lake, and it's a great place to relax. It's also a short, fun hike from Chippewa Harbor campsite. Here's a quick snap of sunset there two years ago (from this album):

Another awesome view is the Feldtmann Ridge on the Feldtmann Lake trail. You can see 3/4 of the island from there and some spectacular views of the lake. Most of the time you can see the Rock of Ages light house, sitting out on the surface of the water like a surface bobber. Here's a snapshot of it last year, about noon time (from this album):

Lastly, almost 50% of the Minong Ridge trail treats you to some spectacular panoramics of Canada and the island up to the Greenstone Ridge. Here's a picture from a few years back (from this album):

treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

bergman wrote: .......Hey treeplanter: for that overlook on the minong, my map says there is a well in the same vicinity(also on the north side of the trail). Is it still visible/marked?
I don't believe so. At least I don't recall seeing any sign indicating a well.

We found this lookout quite by accident. We kayaked to McCargoe, found a shelter, and went on an after-dinner hike up the Minong just to pass the time. This 50' ridge is very obvious from the trail and just invites being climbed. What a view! If it wasn't so far from McCargoe, and water, this would be a hell of a place to pitch a tent. We still may do it someday, for the view and privacy.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

fonixmunkee wrote:One of my favorite spots, although not the highest on the island, is the hill behind the campsite at Chippewa Harbor. You can see a large majority of the island and lake, and it's a great place to relax. It's also a short, fun hike from Chippewa Harbor campsite........
We stumbled across the bluff behind Chippewa back in the 90's. Here's a shot taken on a warm, hazy day. The length of Chippewa Harbor can be seen in the background.

LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I, too, love the view from the bluff above Chippewa Harbor campsite. I've heard you can even get cell phone reception up there.

The view from Mt. Franklin is breathtaking and less obstructed by trees than CH, but it's only a view of the north side of the island and Canada. For a hiker coming to or from Rock Harbor, it's barely off the path you're likely to be hiking.