Buckeye "Seniors" Trying It Again, 9/9-16

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ulmer1
NewbieCake

Re: Buckeye "Seniors" Trying It Again, 9/9-16

Post by ulmer1 »

LeftOvers - Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner!! Due to the weather, we did end up changing our plans and did a
modified reversal. We hiked in a steady rain and stayed at Three-Mile the first night. Looked like more of the same, plus very poor visibility for day 2, so we stayed low and went to Moskey Basin. On to Chippewa Harbor where we spent 2 nights. Went to Lake Ritchie the next day, then back to Daisy Farm on 9/14. Got into more rain on the 15th so we decided to get back into Rock Harbor to play it safe catching the ferry on the 16th. My brother and I did ditch our packs and hike up to Mt. Franklin which was more than worth the time and effort. They other guys decided to skip that and get into RH earlier.

Sorry that we missed meeting you and enjoying some of your cornbread! BUT two of us did catch enough pike at MB and CH to feed all 5 of us for three meals and still give several pounds of fillets away to others.

Overall we had a great experience, but as I mentioned in a previous post, we probably won't be back. I am still wanting to go rim-to-rim-to-rim at the Grand Canyon, backpack in Glacier Nat'l Park, etc. Being 64 I would rather see/hike as many other National Parks as I can yet get in. I have recommended IRNP to several people and will continue to, but caution them about the demands, etc. of being there. Granted we were way overboard with our weight; 54#, 54#, 56#, 57# and 66#(mine)!! My brother and I got along fine, but the other three struggled a lot of the time. Another reason why we cut back from our original plans. A wonderful place to enjoy and appreciate how fortunate we are in the good old USA!!

Happy Trails to you and others who decide to experience this great National Park called Isle Royale!!